X2Go Bug report logs - #1476
x2goclient interface code needs refactoring to make it more accessible and make improvements easier to implement and test

version graph

Package: x2goclient; Maintainer for x2goclient is X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>; Source for x2goclient is src:x2goclient.

Reported by: Dave Chamberlin-Kidd <dave@flamangoes.co.uk>

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 15:55:01 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Found in version 4.1.2.3

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1476; Package x2goclient. (Sun, 07 Jun 2020 15:55:01 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Dave Chamberlin-Kidd <dave@flamangoes.co.uk>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 Jun 2020 15:55:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #5 received at submit@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Dave Chamberlin-Kidd <dave@flamangoes.co.uk>
To: submit@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: x2goclient interface code needs refactoring to make it more accessible and make improvements easier to implement and test
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 16:49:21 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.3
Severity: wishlist
Tag: patch

There are a number of minor issues, oddities and limitations with the
current x2goclient gui which would be good to fix, resolve and improve on.
Like all projects however the core team have more important issues to
resolve. The code in its current state is difficult to understand and amend
and as it has no tests it is risky for developers to make functional
changes unless they spend a lot of time getting to know the code and doing
extensive manual testing.

Attached are 10 small refactorings which start extracting out some of the
code into smaller functions. As the code is separated out it becomes easier
to understand and change.

There are no functional changes in these patches, nor do they attempt or
claim to fix any known issues. On their own the benefit of these patches is
limited however the hope is that over time I will be able to submit more
refactorings as I learn more and then start fixing issues and improving the
UI. Extracting out functions is just one of many techniques that can be
used to make code cleaner but in my experience it's a good one to start
with. It should also be noted that sometimes code is extracted "as is" even
when it is clear further refactoring can be done to improve things, this is
by design in order to keep risk and size of patches to a minimum.

Cheers
Dave
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]
[0007-Refactor-Extract-geometry-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0008-Refactor-Extract-sound-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0009-Refactor-Extract-server-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0010-Refactor-Extract-edit-button-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0006-Refactor-Extract-command-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0005-Refactor-Organise-object-creation-by-feature.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0004-Refactor-Remove-unnecessary-code.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0003-Refactor-Use-constant-for-color.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0002-Refactor-Extract-geometry-box-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]
[0001-Refactor-Extract-palette-setup.patch (text/x-patch, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1476; Package x2goclient. (Mon, 08 Jun 2020 07:55:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Mon, 08 Jun 2020 07:55:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #10 received at 1476@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
To: Dave Chamberlin-Kidd <dave@flamangoes.co.uk>, 1476@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1476: x2goclient interface code needs refactoring to make it more accessible and make improvements easier to implement and test
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 07:54:46 +0000
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Hi Dave,

On  So 07 Jun 2020 17:49:21 CEST, Dave Chamberlin-Kidd wrote:

> Package: x2goclient
> Version: 4.1.2.3
> Severity: wishlist
> Tag: patch
>
> There are a number of minor issues, oddities and limitations with the
> current x2goclient gui which would be good to fix, resolve and improve on.
> Like all projects however the core team have more important issues to
> resolve. The code in its current state is difficult to understand and amend
> and as it has no tests it is risky for developers to make functional
> changes unless they spend a lot of time getting to know the code and doing
> extensive manual testing.
>
> Attached are 10 small refactorings which start extracting out some of the
> code into smaller functions. As the code is separated out it becomes easier
> to understand and change.
>
> There are no functional changes in these patches, nor do they attempt or
> claim to fix any known issues. On their own the benefit of these patches is
> limited however the hope is that over time I will be able to submit more
> refactorings as I learn more and then start fixing issues and improving the
> UI. Extracting out functions is just one of many techniques that can be
> used to make code cleaner but in my experience it's a good one to start
> with. It should also be noted that sometimes code is extracted "as is" even
> when it is clear further refactoring can be done to improve things, this is
> by design in order to keep risk and size of patches to a minimum.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Thanks for your patches. As the GitLab server for X2Go is in reach,  
I'd like to postpone patch review until its there. I'd be happy if you  
could file a merge request then and we dive into your proposals.

Thanks+Greets,
Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde
Mike Gabriel, Marienthaler Str. 17, 24340 Eckernförde
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4351) 850 8940

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de

[Message part 2 (application/pgp-signature, inline)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1476; Package x2goclient. (Mon, 08 Jun 2020 23:25:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Dave Chamberlin-Kidd <dave@flamangoes.co.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Mon, 08 Jun 2020 23:25:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #15 received at 1476@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Dave Chamberlin-Kidd <dave@flamangoes.co.uk>
To: Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
Cc: 1476@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1476: x2goclient interface code needs refactoring to make it more accessible and make improvements easier to implement and test
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 00:20:44 +0100
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Cheers Mike. No problem.

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020, 08:54 Mike Gabriel, <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On  So 07 Jun 2020 17:49:21 CEST, Dave Chamberlin-Kidd wrote:
>
> > Package: x2goclient
> > Version: 4.1.2.3
> > Severity: wishlist
> > Tag: patch
> >
> > There are a number of minor issues, oddities and limitations with the
> > current x2goclient gui which would be good to fix, resolve and improve
> on.
> > Like all projects however the core team have more important issues to
> > resolve. The code in its current state is difficult to understand and
> amend
> > and as it has no tests it is risky for developers to make functional
> > changes unless they spend a lot of time getting to know the code and
> doing
> > extensive manual testing.
> >
> > Attached are 10 small refactorings which start extracting out some of the
> > code into smaller functions. As the code is separated out it becomes
> easier
> > to understand and change.
> >
> > There are no functional changes in these patches, nor do they attempt or
> > claim to fix any known issues. On their own the benefit of these patches
> is
> > limited however the hope is that over time I will be able to submit more
> > refactorings as I learn more and then start fixing issues and improving
> the
> > UI. Extracting out functions is just one of many techniques that can my
> experience it's a good one to start
> > with. It should also be noted that sometimes code is extracted "as is"
> even
> > when it is clear further refactoring can be done to improve things, this
> is
> > by design in order to keep risk and size of patches to a minimum.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Dave
>
> Thanks for your patches. As the GitLab server for X2Go is in reach,
> I'd like to postpone patch review until its there. I'd be happy if you
> could file a merge request then and we dive into your proposals.
>
> Thanks+Greets,
> Mike
> --
>
> DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
> c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde
> Mike Gabriel, Marienthaler Str. 17, 24340 Eckernförde
> mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
> landline: +49 (4351) 850 8940
>
> GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
> mail: mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de
>
>
[Message part 2 (text/html, inline)]

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


X2Go Developers <owner@bugs.x2go.org>. Last modified: Tue Aug 4 00:03:12 2020; Machine Name: ymir.das-netzwerkteam.de

X2Go Bug tracking system

Debbugs is free software and licensed under the terms of the GNU Public License version 2. The current version can be obtained from https://bugs.debian.org/debbugs-source/.

Copyright © 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson, 2005-2017 Don Armstrong, and many other contributors.