X2Go Bug report logs - #1334
Bidirectional clipboard mode stops working with Windows 10 x2goclient

version graph

Package: x2goclient; Maintainer for x2goclient is X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>; Source for x2goclient is src:x2goclient.

Reported by: Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:30:01 UTC

Severity: normal

Found in version 4.1.2.0

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1334; Package x2goclient. (Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:30:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:30:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>
To: submit@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Bidirectional clipboard mode stops working with Windows 10 x2goclient
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:20:56 +0000
Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.0

I'm using x2goclient 4.1.2.0 on Windows 10. I have found two ways that
break the bidirectional clipboard mode, one for the MATE desktop and
one for the Plasma 4 desktop (both on the x2go server).

1) MATE desktop

- Open a connection to your x2go server.

- In Windows 10: Open a text editor. I use Notepad++.
  - Write a single character in the editor, then select it and use copy.

- In MATE desktop: Open a text editor. I use pluma.
  - Press spacebar once and then select the empty space with ctrl+a.
  - Use paste to paste the clipboard contents. At this point the 
clipboard
    functionality breaks.

2) Plasma 4 desktop

- Open a connection to your x2go server.

- In Windows 10: Open a text editor. I use Notepad++.
  - Write a single character in the editor, then select it and use copy.

- In Plasma 4 desktop: Open a text editor. I use emacs. If I use KWrite
  there is no problem.
  - In an empty emacs buffer, press spacebar once, press cursor left and
    then use ctrl+space to mark the selection starting point and press
    cursor right once to select the empty space.
  - Use ctrl+y to yank the contents of the clipboard. At this point
    the clipboard functionality breaks and emacs goes into a loop 
consuming
    100% CPU.

Both of these break the Windows 10 side clipboard so that it doesn't 
work
until I restart the computer.

The client machine's OS: Windows 10 64-bit
The client machine's version of X2GoClient, PyHoca-GUI or Pyhoca-CLI: 
4.1.20
Any relevant session settings in X2GoClient, PyHoca-GUI or Pyhoca-CLI: 
no
The server's OS: MATE desktop: Fedora 27 x86_64, Plasma 4 desktop: 
CentOS 6 x86_64
The server's version of the x2goserver package: MATE desktop: 
x2goserver-4.1.0.2-0.0x2go1.1.git20180801.1642.main.fc27.x86_64, Plasma 
4 desktop: x2goserver-4.0.1.19-3.el6.x86_64
The server's version of the x2goserver-xsession package: MATE desktop: 
x2goserver-xsession-4.1.0.2-0.0x2go1.1.git20180801.1642.main.fc27.x86_64, 
Plasma 4 desktop: not installed
The server's version of the nxagent package: MATE desktop: 
nxagent-3.5.99.16-0.0build1.1.git20180719.2988.main.fc27.x86_64, Plasma 
4 desktop: nxagent-3.5.0.32-3.1.x86_64
The server's version of any other relevant packages (e.g., if the bug as 
about MATE integration, the version of x2gomatebindings): MATE desktop: 
not installed
Any relevant settings in X2GoServer (that you changed from the 
defaults): MATE desktop: enabled BIG-REQUESTS

Best regards,

Aki


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1334; Package x2goclient. (Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:30:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:30:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 1334@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: akik@mykolab.com, 1334@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: submit@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1334: Bidirectional clipboard mode stops working with Windows 10 x2goclient
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:24:43 +0200
Thanks! This sounds a bit like a off-by-one problem in the clipboard code.

However, to break this down further I want to rule out some
components. First, can you please verify if this is somehow
reproducable on a Linux client?

Next I would like to try and take x2go out of the equation:
- run vcxsrv on windows (vcxsrv.exe -multiwindow -ac :121)
- ssh to the Linux server (e.g. with putty) and point the DISPLAY
variable to the VcXsrv on windows (export
DISPLAY=:<windowsmachine>:121) Note: you might have to disable the
windows firewall
- run nxagent -ac :123 in the shell on the server -> you will get the
nxagent window on you Windows desktop
- in a second shell on the server point the DISPLAY variable to :123
and start the MATE session (export DISPLAY=:123;
STARTUP=mate-session dbus-run-session /etc/X11/Xsession)
Now repeat your editor tests.

Uli
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com> wrote:
>
> Package: x2goclient
> Version: 4.1.2.0
>
> I'm using x2goclient 4.1.2.0 on Windows 10. I have found two ways that
> break the bidirectional clipboard mode, one for the MATE desktop and
> one for the Plasma 4 desktop (both on the x2go server).
>
> 1) MATE desktop
>
> - Open a connection to your x2go server.
>
> - In Windows 10: Open a text editor. I use Notepad++.
>    - Write a single character in the editor, then select it and use copy.
>
> - In MATE desktop: Open a text editor. I use pluma.
>    - Press spacebar once and then select the empty space with ctrl+a.
>    - Use paste to paste the clipboard contents. At this point the
> clipboard
>      functionality breaks.
>
> 2) Plasma 4 desktop
>
> - Open a connection to your x2go server.
>
> - In Windows 10: Open a text editor. I use Notepad++.
>    - Write a single character in the editor, then select it and use copy.
>
> - In Plasma 4 desktop: Open a text editor. I use emacs. If I use KWrite
>    there is no problem.
>    - In an empty emacs buffer, press spacebar once, press cursor left and
>      then use ctrl+space to mark the selection starting point and press
>      cursor right once to select the empty space.
>    - Use ctrl+y to yank the contents of the clipboard. At this point
>      the clipboard functionality breaks and emacs goes into a loop
> consuming
>      100% CPU.
>
> Both of these break the Windows 10 side clipboard so that it doesn't
> work
> until I restart the computer.
>
> The client machine's OS: Windows 10 64-bit
> The client machine's version of X2GoClient, PyHoca-GUI or Pyhoca-CLI:
> 4.1.20
> Any relevant session settings in X2GoClient, PyHoca-GUI or Pyhoca-CLI:
> no
> The server's OS: MATE desktop: Fedora 27 x86_64, Plasma 4 desktop:
> CentOS 6 x86_64
> The server's version of the x2goserver package: MATE desktop:
> x2goserver-4.1.0.2-0.0x2go1.1.git20180801.1642.main.fc27.x86_64, Plasma
> 4 desktop: x2goserver-4.0.1.19-3.el6.x86_64
> The server's version of the x2goserver-xsession package: MATE desktop:
> x2goserver-xsession-4.1.0.2-0.0x2go1.1.git20180801.1642.main.fc27.x86_64,
> Plasma 4 desktop: not installed
> The server's version of the nxagent package: MATE desktop:
> nxagent-3.5.99.16-0.0build1.1.git20180719.2988.main.fc27.x86_64, Plasma
> 4 desktop: nxagent-3.5.0.32-3.1.x86_64
> The server's version of any other relevant packages (e.g., if the bug as
> about MATE integration, the version of x2gomatebindings): MATE desktop:
> not installed
> Any relevant settings in X2GoServer (that you changed from the
> defaults): MATE desktop: enabled BIG-REQUESTS
>
> Best regards,
>
> Aki
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1334; Package x2goclient. (Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:20:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:20:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 1334@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
Cc: 1334@bugs.x2go.org, submit@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1334: Bidirectional clipboard mode stops working with Windows 10 x2goclient
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:19:30 +0000
Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.0

On 2018-10-11 14:24, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:

> Thanks! This sounds a bit like a off-by-one problem in the clipboard 
> code.
> 
> However, to break this down further I want to rule out some
> components. First, can you please verify if this is somehow
> reproducable on a Linux client?

The bidirectional clipboard mode doesn't break with the Linux 
x2goclient,
in either MATE desktop or Plasma 4 desktop. I'm using x2goclient 
v4.1.1.1
on Fedora 27 client machine.

> Next I would like to try and take x2go out of the equation:
> - run vcxsrv on windows (vcxsrv.exe -multiwindow -ac :121)
> - ssh to the Linux server (e.g. with putty) and point the DISPLAY
> variable to the VcXsrv on windows (export 
> DISPLAY=:<windowsmachine>:121)
> Note: you might have to disable the windows firewall
> - run nxagent -ac :123 in the shell on the server -> you will get the
> nxagent window on you Windows desktop
> - in a second shell on the server point the DISPLAY variable to :123
> and start the MATE session (export DISPLAY=:123;
> STARTUP=mate-session dbus-run-session /etc/X11/Xsession)
> Now repeat your editor tests.
> 
> Uli

I used PuTTY's X11 forwarding/tunneling to do this. The bidirectional
clipboard mode breaks in the same way with this method in both MATE
desktop and Plasma 4 desktop.

Best regards,

Aki


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1334; Package x2goclient. (Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:25:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:25:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 1334@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
Cc: 1334@bugs.x2go.org, submit@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1334: Bidirectional clipboard mode stops working with Windows 10 x2goclient
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:13:07 +0000
On 2018-10-11 14:24, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:

> Thanks! This sounds a bit like a off-by-one problem in the clipboard 
> code.
> 
> However, to break this down further I want to rule out some
> components. First, can you please verify if this is somehow
> reproducable on a Linux client?

The bidirectional clipboard mode doesn't break with the Linux 
x2goclient,
in either MATE desktop or Plasma 4 desktop. I'm using x2goclient 
v4.1.1.1
on Fedora 27 client machine.

> Next I would like to try and take x2go out of the equation:
> - run vcxsrv on windows (vcxsrv.exe -multiwindow -ac :121)
> - ssh to the Linux server (e.g. with putty) and point the DISPLAY
> variable to the VcXsrv on windows (export 
> DISPLAY=:<windowsmachine>:121)
> Note: you might have to disable the windows firewall
> - run nxagent -ac :123 in the shell on the server -> you will get the
> nxagent window on you Windows desktop
> - in a second shell on the server point the DISPLAY variable to :123
> and start the MATE session (export DISPLAY=:123;
> STARTUP=mate-session dbus-run-session /etc/X11/Xsession)
> Now repeat your editor tests.
> 
> Uli

I used PuTTY's X11 forwarding/tunneling to do this. The bidirectional
clipboard mode breaks in the same way with this method in both MATE
desktop and Plasma 4 desktop.

Best regards,

Aki


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1334; Package x2goclient. (Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:05:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:05:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 1334@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Aki Ketolainen <akik@mykolab.com>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1334@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1334: Bug#1334: Bidirectional clipboard mode stops working with Windows 10 x2goclient
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 14:01:59 +0300
I tested x2goclient with mobaxterm too. With it the bidirectional 
clipboard
mode keeps on working, it just doesn't support that case that you've
selected a single space in your x2go server's text editor and try to 
paste
on top of it.

I tested this in Windows 8 and there was no rdpclip.exe process running.

Best regards,

Aki


Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


X2Go Developers <owner@bugs.x2go.org>. Last modified: Mon Dec 17 03:56:46 2018; Machine Name: ymir.das-netzwerkteam.de

X2Go Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.