X2Go Bug report logs - #1172
ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64

Package: nx-libs; Maintainer for nx-libs is X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>;

Reported by: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>

Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 14:40:02 UTC

Severity: normal

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Fri, 05 May 2017 14:40:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
New Bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 05 May 2017 14:40:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #5 received at submit@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: submit@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>, Oleksandr Shneyder <o.shneyder@phoca-gmbh.de>, Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de>, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333@gmail.com>
Subject: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 16:30:41 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
package: nx-libs

Hi,

since Debian Jessie (stable) switched from IceDove back to ThunderBird,
TB crashes when the host is an amd64 machine and X2GoClient is running
in PubApp mode. i386 is unaffected.

It happens with X2GoClient on Windows as well as on Linux, so it's not a
matter of VcXsrv being too old/broken/whatever.

It also happens when all X2Go server components are installed from heuler.

It does NOT happen when you build nx-libs from source using the Debian
Experimental repository.

So there's something in the stable nx-libs that's broken on amd64 only,
and got fixed in the nx-libs version that is available via Debian
Experimental.

Core-Devs, please advise how to fix this - should we dare making a new
nx-libs release and declare it stable, based on what is in Debian
Experimental (arguing that everything is better than what we currently
have)?  Or should we try to hunt down the offending code part and only
patch that?  If the latter, who's willing to take a stab at it?  (We
don't have a business case ATM, as all my TB-PubApp-users are still on
i386, so no funding as of now.)

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Fri, 05 May 2017 15:35:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 05 May 2017 15:35:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #10 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>
To: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de>, Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>, submit@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 17:33:42 +0200 (CEST)
I would recommend disabling GLX by uncommenting this line in /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options :

#X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension GLX"

GLX is unusable with the current NX-Libs (even Arctica ones) but since the extension is enabled, some components still tries to use H/W acceleration for some parts.
I get far better results (especially stability wise) with this option disabled.

I would even consider disabling it "by default" until a proper GLX support is added to nx-libs.


Regards,
Walid Moghrabi

TRAVAUX.COM
BAT I - PARC CEZANNE 2 290 AVENUE GALILEE - CS 80403
13591 AIX EN PROVENCE CEDEX 3

----- Mail original ----- 

De: "Stefan Baur" <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> 
À: submit@bugs.x2go.org 
Cc: "Mihai Moldovan" <ionic@ionic.de>, "Mike Gabriel" <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de> 
Envoyé: Vendredi 5 Mai 2017 16:30:41 
Objet: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64 

package: nx-libs 

Hi, 

since Debian Jessie (stable) switched from IceDove back to ThunderBird, 
TB crashes when the host is an amd64 machine and X2GoClient is running 
in PubApp mode. i386 is unaffected. 

It happens with X2GoClient on Windows as well as on Linux, so it's not a 
matter of VcXsrv being too old/broken/whatever. 

It also happens when all X2Go server components are installed from heuler. 

It does NOT happen when you build nx-libs from source using the Debian 
Experimental repository. 

So there's something in the stable nx-libs that's broken on amd64 only, 
and got fixed in the nx-libs version that is available via Debian 
Experimental. 

Core-Devs, please advise how to fix this - should we dare making a new 
nx-libs release and declare it stable, based on what is in Debian 
Experimental (arguing that everything is better than what we currently 
have)? Or should we try to hunt down the offending code part and only 
patch that? If the latter, who's willing to take a stab at it? (We 
don't have a business case ATM, as all my TB-PubApp-users are still on 
i386, so no funding as of now.) 

Kind Regards, 
Stefan Baur 

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt) 
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur 
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364 
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243 


_______________________________________________ 
x2go-dev mailing list 
x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org 
http://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev
---
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is private and confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. It is for the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the author by replying to it and then destroy it. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail or any attachment. Thank you


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Fri, 05 May 2017 16:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 05 May 2017 16:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #15 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de>, Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 18:37:02 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 05.05.2017 um 17:33 schrieb Walid MOGHRABI:
> I would recommend disabling GLX by uncommenting this line in /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options :
> 
> #X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension GLX"
> 
> GLX is unusable with the current NX-Libs (even Arctica ones) but since the extension is enabled, some components still tries to use H/W acceleration for some parts.
> I get far better results (especially stability wise) with this option disabled.

I don't.  Changing that value doesn't help at all - attempting to start
ThunderBird in PubApp mode still crashes the entire X2Go session on amd64.

Tried restarting the service, even rebooting the server, no change.

-Stefan


-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Fri, 05 May 2017 19:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 05 May 2017 19:45:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #20 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 21:41:47 +0200
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Walid MOGHRABI
<w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu> wrote:
> I would recommend disabling GLX by uncommenting this line in /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options :
>
> #X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension GLX"
>
> GLX is unusable with the current NX-Libs (even Arctica ones) but since the extension is enabled, some components still tries to use H/W acceleration for some parts.
> I get far better results (especially stability wise) with this option disabled.
>
> I would even consider disabling it "by default" until a proper GLX support is added to nx-libs.

It is not "unusable". But nx offers an old version of GLX only. And
there seem to be some applications that don't care for the version the
X server (nxagent in this case) reports. So what should we do?

It is possible to implement a newer GLX version but that would need
some investing quite some time. Unfortunately the current nx
development staff does not have that time...


Regarding Thunderbird: does it still crash after setting
gfx.xrender.enabled to true in about:config (respectively user.js)?

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Fri, 05 May 2017 20:20:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Fri, 05 May 2017 20:20:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #25 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 22:17:06 +0200
Btw: does Thunderbird work with this workaround?

http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:glx-xlib-workaround

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Walid MOGHRABI
> <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu> wrote:
>> I would recommend disabling GLX by uncommenting this line in /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options :
>>
>> #X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension GLX"
>>
>> GLX is unusable with the current NX-Libs (even Arctica ones) but since the extension is enabled, some components still tries to use H/W acceleration for some parts.
>> I get far better results (especially stability wise) with this option disabled.
>>
>> I would even consider disabling it "by default" until a proper GLX support is added to nx-libs.
>
> It is not "unusable". But nx offers an old version of GLX only. And
> there seem to be some applications that don't care for the version the
> X server (nxagent in this case) reports. So what should we do?
>
> It is possible to implement a newer GLX version but that would need
> some investing quite some time. Unfortunately the current nx
> development staff does not have that time...
>
>
> Regarding Thunderbird: does it still crash after setting
> gfx.xrender.enabled to true in about:config (respectively user.js)?
>
> Uli
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org
> http://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Sun, 07 May 2017 13:05:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 May 2017 13:05:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #30 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:03:28 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 05.05.2017 um 21:41 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:

> Regarding Thunderbird: does it still crash after setting
> gfx.xrender.enabled to true in about:config (respectively user.js)?

It defaults to true; changing it to false doesn't change the behavior,
so, yes, it (still) crashes.

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Sun, 07 May 2017 13:10:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 May 2017 13:10:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #35 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: 1172@bugs.x2go.org, Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
Subject: Error message shown on tty1 when session crashes
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:06:37 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
traps: x2goagent [3339] general protection ip:7f02464e2e6d
sp:7ffef6c22150error:0 in libNX_X11.so.6.2[7f0246496000+123000]

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Sun, 07 May 2017 14:00:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 May 2017 14:00:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #40 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:59:34 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 05.05.2017 um 22:17 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
> Btw: does Thunderbird work with this workaround?
> 
> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:glx-xlib-workaround

This fails at the "scons libgl-xlib" step:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for GCC ...  yes
Checking for Clang ...  no
scons: Found LLVM version 3.5.0
Checking for X11 (x11 xext xdamage xfixes)... yes
Checking for XCB (x11-xcb xcb-glx >= 1.8.1 xcb-dri2 >= 1.8)... yes
Checking for XF86VIDMODE (xxf86vm)... yes
Checking for DRM (libdrm >= 2.4.38)... yes
Checking for UDEV (libudev >= 151)... yes
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
  Linking build/linux-x86_64-debug/mesa/gen_matypes ...
  Generating build/linux-x86_64-debug/glsl/glcpp/glcpp-parse.c ...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [build/linux-x86_64-debug/mesa/gen_matypes] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243Ths fails

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Sun, 07 May 2017 19:05:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to 1172@bugs.x2go.org:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 May 2017 19:05:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #45 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 20:58:52 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 07.05.2017 um 15:59 schrieb Stefan Baur:
> Am 05.05.2017 um 22:17 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
>> Btw: does Thunderbird work with this workaround?
>>
>> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:glx-xlib-workaround
> This fails at the "scons libgl-xlib" step:
> 
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> Checking for GCC ...  yes
> Checking for Clang ...  no
> scons: Found LLVM version 3.5.0
> Checking for X11 (x11 xext xdamage xfixes)... yes
> Checking for XCB (x11-xcb xcb-glx >= 1.8.1 xcb-dri2 >= 1.8)... yes
> Checking for XF86VIDMODE (xxf86vm)... yes
> Checking for DRM (libdrm >= 2.4.38)... yes
> Checking for UDEV (libudev >= 151)... yes
> scons: done reading SConscript files.
> scons: Building targets ...
>   Linking build/linux-x86_64-debug/mesa/gen_matypes ...
>   Generating build/linux-x86_64-debug/glsl/glcpp/glcpp-parse.c ...
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> scons: *** [build/linux-x86_64-debug/mesa/gen_matypes] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.

Turns out you need to install zlib1g-dev and libedit-dev as well.
However, this workaround doesn't help, either.

Thunderbird still crashes, as does "XFCE Terminal" and evince.

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Sun, 07 May 2017 22:10:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to uli42@gmx.de:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 May 2017 22:10:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #50 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <ulrich.sibiller@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: submit@bugs.x2go.org, Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de>, Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 00:07:45 +0200
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> package: nx-libs
>
> Hi,
>
> since Debian Jessie (stable) switched from IceDove back to ThunderBird,
> TB crashes when the host is an amd64 machine and X2GoClient is running
> in PubApp mode. i386 is unaffected.
>
> It happens with X2GoClient on Windows as well as on Linux, so it's not a
> matter of VcXsrv being too old/broken/whatever.
>
> It also happens when all X2Go server components are installed from heuler.
>
> It does NOT happen when you build nx-libs from source using the Debian
> Experimental repository.
>
> So there's something in the stable nx-libs that's broken on amd64 only,
> and got fixed in the nx-libs version that is available via Debian
> Experimental.
>
> Core-Devs, please advise how to fix this - should we dare making a new
> nx-libs release and declare it stable, based on what is in Debian
> Experimental (arguing that everything is better than what we currently
> have)?  Or should we try to hunt down the offending code part and only
> patch that?  If the latter, who's willing to take a stab at it?  (We
> don't have a business case ATM, as all my TB-PubApp-users are still on
> i386, so no funding as of now.)

It is working for me with 3.5.99.7. So we already have fix.

The error message you posted is this:
traps: x2goagent [3339] general protection ip:7f02464e2e6d
sp:7ffef6c22150error:0 in libNX_X11.so.6.2[7f0246496000+123000]

So we have a problem in libNX_X11 which - in 3.5.9.77 - is on the
current xorg upstream level 1.6.5. In nx-libs 3.5.0.32 it is rather
old (about 1.3.3). I am curious if it is sufficient to ONLY copy
libNX_X11.so* from 3.5.99.7 to your crashing installation. If that
helps we could release 3.5.0.33 or 34 with that libX11 exchanged. This
should generally be bit much less risky than just marking 3.5.99 as
stable.

On the other hand: we have fixed lots of security and stability bugs
in 3.5.99.x so using those versions is generally advisable (from my
POV).

You could try to install libNX_X11-dbg and attach gdb to x2goagent
(run "gdb -p $(pidof x2goagent)") just before starting thunderbird.
When it crashes you'll get a backtrace. Using that information we can
(hopefully) see if a quick backport could help. That would be the
least invasive solution.

Comments?

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Sun, 07 May 2017 23:55:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Sun, 07 May 2017 23:55:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #55 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: uli42@gmx.de, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: submit@bugs.x2go.org, Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de>, Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 01:53:36 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 08.05.2017 um 00:07 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:

[...]

> The error message you posted is this:
> traps: x2goagent [3339] general protection ip:7f02464e2e6d
> sp:7ffef6c22150error:0 in libNX_X11.so.6.2[7f0246496000+123000]
> 
> So we have a problem in libNX_X11 which - in 3.5.9.77 - is on the
> current xorg upstream level 1.6.5. In nx-libs 3.5.0.32 it is rather
> old (about 1.3.3). I am curious if it is sufficient to ONLY copy
> libNX_X11.so* from 3.5.99.7 to your crashing installation. If that
> helps we could release 3.5.0.33 or 34 with that libX11 exchanged. This
> should generally be bit much less risky than just marking 3.5.99 as
> stable.

Copying the single file over actually works.  Though I don't know what
other side effects it may have ...


[...]

> You could try to install libNX_X11-dbg and attach gdb to x2goagent
> (run "gdb -p $(pidof x2goagent)") just before starting thunderbird.
> When it crashes you'll get a backtrace. Using that information we can
> (hopefully) see if a quick backport could help. That would be the
> least invasive solution.

I hope I did this right ... the package name was libnx-x11-6-dbg.

GNU gdb (Debian 7.7.1+dfsg-5) 7.7.1
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
Attaching to process 6297
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/nx/bin/nxagent...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xext.so.6...Reading
symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xext.so.6.4...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xext.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_X11.so.6...Reading
symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_X11.so.6.2...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_X11.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6...Reading symbols
from /usr/lib/debug//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm-2.19.so...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xpm.so.4...Reading
symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xpm.so.4.11...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xpm.so.4
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcomp.so.3...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcomp.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcompext.so.3...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcompext.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcompshad.so.3...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcompshad.so.3
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xrender.so.1...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xrender.so.1.2.2...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xrender.so.1
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xfixes.so.3...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xfixes.so.3.0...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xfixes.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xtst.so.6...Reading
symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xtst.so.6.1...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xtst.so.6
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xdamage.so.1...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xdamage.so.1.0...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xdamage.so.1
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xrandr.so.2...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xrandr.so.2.0...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xrandr.so.2
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xcomposite.so.1...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xcomposite.so.1.0...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xcomposite.so.1
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xinerama.so.1...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xinerama.so.1.0...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xinerama.so.1
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xdmcp.so.6...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xdmcp.so.6.0...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libNX_Xdmcp.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6...Reading symbols
from /usr/lib/debug//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.19.so...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2...Reading symbols
from /usr/lib/debug//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl-2.19.so...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.62...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.62
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5
Reading symbols from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.19.so...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_files.so.2...Reading
symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_files-2.19.so...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_files.so.2
0x00007f664a88b873 in __select_nocancel () at
../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
81      ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) s
0x00007f664c34d969 in NXTransSelect () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcomp.so.3
(gdb) s
Single stepping until exit from function NXTransSelect,
which has no line number information.
_XSelect (maxfds=<optimized out>, readfds=0xbbc880,
writefds=0x7ffc44d17650, exceptfds=<optimized out>,
timeout=0x7ffc44d17790) at XlibInt.c:335
335     XlibInt.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) s
337     in XlibInt.c
(gdb) s
__GI___errno_location () at errno-loc.c:26
26      errno-loc.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) s
27      in errno-loc.c
(gdb) s
_XSelect (maxfds=<optimized out>, readfds=0xbbc880,
writefds=0x7ffc44d17650, exceptfds=<optimized out>,
timeout=0x7ffc44d17790) at XlibInt.c:339
339     XlibInt.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) s
350     in XlibInt.c
(gdb) s

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
_XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x2539060, data=<optimized out>,
data@entry=0x7f66477bcff4, len=101652, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
3792    in XlibInt.c
(gdb) s

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
The program no longer exists.
(gdb) quit

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Mon, 08 May 2017 05:50:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Mon, 08 May 2017 05:50:03 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #60 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
Cc: 1172@bugs.x2go.org, submit@bugs.x2go.org, Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de>, Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 07:44:50 +0200
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> Am 08.05.2017 um 00:07 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
>
> [...]
>
>> The error message you posted is this:
>> traps: x2goagent [3339] general protection ip:7f02464e2e6d
>> sp:7ffef6c22150error:0 in libNX_X11.so.6.2[7f0246496000+123000]
>>
>> So we have a problem in libNX_X11 which - in 3.5.9.77 - is on the
>> current xorg upstream level 1.6.5. In nx-libs 3.5.0.32 it is rather
>> old (about 1.3.3). I am curious if it is sufficient to ONLY copy
>> libNX_X11.so* from 3.5.99.7 to your crashing installation. If that
>> helps we could release 3.5.0.33 or 34 with that libX11 exchanged. This
>> should generally be bit much less risky than just marking 3.5.99 as
>> stable.
>
> Copying the single file over actually works.  Though I don't know what
> other side effects it may have ...

Not too much, since there's no change in functionality AFAICS.
Good to know that this helps. So this could serve as a quick workaround.

> I hope I did this right ... the package name was libnx-x11-6-dbg.

Yes, but to get better output please install all other dbg packages
from here, too:

http://packages.x2go.org/debian/pool/main/n/nx-libs/

There a doc regarding automaitc debug package installation here:
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Installing_the_debugging_symbols

> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x2539060, data=<optimized out>,
> data@entry=0x7f66477bcff4, len=101652, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
> 3792    in XlibInt.c

At this stage you should run bt (backtrace) so we can see the calls
leading to this. There's no need to do single steps.

To see better output including the line where it crashed you could
also recompile the package as described in
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Rebuilding_the_package_you.2BIBk-re_debugging

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Mon, 08 May 2017 17:30:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Mon, 08 May 2017 17:30:04 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #65 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
Cc: 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 19:28:19 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 08.05.2017 um 07:44 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
> Yes, but to get better output please install all other dbg packages
> from here, too:
> 
> http://packages.x2go.org/debian/pool/main/n/nx-libs/
> 
> There a doc regarding automaitc debug package installation here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Installing_the_debugging_symbols
> 
>> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>> _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x2539060, data=<optimized out>,
>> data@entry=0x7f66477bcff4, len=101652, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
>> 3792    in XlibInt.c
> At this stage you should run bt (backtrace) so we can see the calls
> leading to this. There's no need to do single steps.
> 
> To see better output including the line where it crashed you could
> also recompile the package as described in
> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Rebuilding_the_package_you.2BIBk-re_debugging

Sorry, but this is way over my head and out of my comfort zone.  Would
it help if I granted you access to a freshly installed test system?

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Mon, 08 May 2017 17:35:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Mon, 08 May 2017 17:35:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #70 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 19:32:10 +0200
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> Am 08.05.2017 um 07:44 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
>> Yes, but to get better output please install all other dbg packages
>> from here, too:
>>
>> http://packages.x2go.org/debian/pool/main/n/nx-libs/
>>
>> There a doc regarding automaitc debug package installation here:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Installing_the_debugging_symbols
>>
>>> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>> _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x2539060, data=<optimized out>,
>>> data@entry=0x7f66477bcff4, len=101652, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
>>> 3792    in XlibInt.c
>> At this stage you should run bt (backtrace) so we can see the calls
>> leading to this. There's no need to do single steps.
>>
>> To see better output including the line where it crashed you could
>> also recompile the package as described in
>> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Rebuilding_the_package_you.2BIBk-re_debugging
>
> Sorry, but this is way over my head and out of my comfort zone.  Would
> it help if I granted you access to a freshly installed test system?

Really? The doc describes every step...

Yes, I can have a look.  ;-)

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Mon, 08 May 2017 23:40:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Mon, 08 May 2017 23:40:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #75 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 01:36:45 +0200
I have tried that on my debian jessie machine. Thunderbird indeed
crashed the session. The backtrace is this:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
_XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x19b8680, data=<optimized out>,
data@entry=0x20b26e4, len=93460, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
3792 XlibInt.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.
(gdb) bt full
#0  _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x19b8680, data=<optimized out>,
data@entry=0x20b26e4, len=93460, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
        buf = <optimized out>
        i = <optimized out>
#1  0x00007ff7d90c6ce1 in XChangeProperty (dpy=0x19b8680, w=<optimized
out>, property=<optimized out>, type=6, format=<optimized out>,
    mode=<optimized out>, data=0x20b26e4 "", nelements=27453) at ChProp.c:85
        req = 0x19c6548
        len = 109812
#2  0x00000000004b20b7 in nxagentExportProperty (pWin=0x20,
property=27453, type=34285284, format=0, mode=0, nUnits=27453,
value=0x2072700)
    at Rootless.c:763
        n = 27453
        propertyX = 4
        typeX = 34285284
        propHints = {flags = 0, input = 32, initialState = 33142432,
iconPixmap = 4333663, iconWindow = 6, iconX = 140702462200332,
          iconY = 18014767901107996, iconMask = 4927218, windowGroup = 0}
        export = 4088
        freeMem = 33142432
#3  0x000000000042238a in ProcChangeProperty (client=0xff7) at
X/NXproperty.c:331
        pWin = 0x1f9b6a0
        len = 92982
        totalSize = 4088
        err = 4088
        stuff = 0x1fbcd24
#4  0x000000000042f002 in Dispatch () at X/NXdispatch.c:748
        clientReady = 0x7ffe2b5ee710
        result = <optimized out>
        client = 0x1edf360
        nready = 0
        icheck = 0xbb9d00 <checkForInput>
        start_tick = 20
        currentDispatch = <optimized out>
#5  0x000000000040da0f in main (argc=15, argv=0x7ffe2b5eecc8,
envp=<optimized out>) at main.c:450
        i = <optimized out>
        j = 2
        k = 2
        error = 32766
        xauthfile = <optimized out>
        alwaysCheckForInput = {0, 1}


Which needs further investigation.

Uli


On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
>> Am 08.05.2017 um 07:44 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
>>> Yes, but to get better output please install all other dbg packages
>>> from here, too:
>>>
>>> http://packages.x2go.org/debian/pool/main/n/nx-libs/
>>>
>>> There a doc regarding automaitc debug package installation here:
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Installing_the_debugging_symbols
>>>
>>>> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>>> _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x2539060, data=<optimized out>,
>>>> data@entry=0x7f66477bcff4, len=101652, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
>>>> 3792    in XlibInt.c
>>> At this stage you should run bt (backtrace) so we can see the calls
>>> leading to this. There's no need to do single steps.
>>>
>>> To see better output including the line where it crashed you could
>>> also recompile the package as described in
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Rebuilding_the_package_you.2BIBk-re_debugging
>>
>> Sorry, but this is way over my head and out of my comfort zone.  Would
>> it help if I granted you access to a freshly installed test system?
>
> Really? The doc describes every step...
>
> Yes, I can have a look.  ;-)
>
> Uli
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Tue, 09 May 2017 19:35:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Tue, 09 May 2017 19:35:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #80 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Cc: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 21:33:11 +0200
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de> wrote:
> I have tried that on my debian jessie machine. Thunderbird indeed
> crashed the session. The backtrace is this:
>
> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x19b8680, data=<optimized out>,
> data@entry=0x20b26e4, len=93460, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
> 3792 XlibInt.c: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  _XData32 (dpy=dpy@entry=0x19b8680, data=<optimized out>,
> data@entry=0x20b26e4, len=93460, len@entry=109812) at XlibInt.c:3792
>         buf = <optimized out>
>         i = <optimized out>

[..]

> Which needs further investigation.

Problem identified: It's the BIG-REQUESTS extension. We have disabled
that in nx 3.5.99 because it is buggy. Add

X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension BIG-REQUESTS"

to /etc/x2goagent.options and thunderbird works.

IMHO we never had a working version of BIG-REQUESTS. So it is probably
a good idea and I am wondering why it is active in 3.5.0.32 at all.

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Tue, 09 May 2017 20:15:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Tue, 09 May 2017 20:15:05 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #85 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 22:12:00 +0200
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de> wrote:

> Problem identified: It's the BIG-REQUESTS extension. We have disabled
> that in nx 3.5.99 because it is buggy. Add
>
> X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension BIG-REQUESTS"
>
> to /etc/x2goagent.options and thunderbird works.
>
> IMHO we never had a working version of BIG-REQUESTS. So it is probably
> a good idea and I am wondering why it is active in 3.5.0.32 at all.

Forget that. We have BIG-REQUESTS in 3.5.99 and it is working. So
disabling BIG-REQUESTS is just a workaround.

As replacing libNX_X11.so with the 3.5.99 version is sufficient to
make the error go away I suppose one of the many fixes that came in
through updating libNX_X11 to current Xorg upstream libX11 is the
solution. But as there are so many it's difficult to identify the
right one(s)...

We could try to find the libNX_X11 version where it started to work.

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Wed, 10 May 2017 07:30:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Wed, 10 May 2017 07:30:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #90 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Walid MOGHRABI <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>
To: 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 09:26:14 +0200 (CEST)
> It is not "unusable". But nx offers an old version of GLX only. And 
> there seem to be some applications that don't care for the version the 
> X server (nxagent in this case) reports. So what should we do? 

You're right, I'm probably a bit to0 rude with this but it's far too old and most applications just test if GLX is enabled without testing it's version or correct support for each extensions which leads to crashes at times.
Since there is no gain in keeping it "as is" (at least, I did see more problems than gains) and until GLX support is updated through Lib-NX, I personnaly would recommend disabling GLX by default (which let the possibility to the user to activate it if he really needs it but don't make this the default behaviour).
Since applications are checking if GLX is enabled, disabling it force them to fallback on software renderers only (or don't run at all but I prefer that to crashes for unknown reasons).


> It is possible to implement a newer GLX version but that would need 
> some investing quite some time. Unfortunately the current nx 
> development staff does not have that time... 

I know and I upvote for that as top priority since more and more applications needs this.


Regards,
Walid Moghrabi

TRAVAUX.COM
BAT I - PARC CEZANNE 2 290 AVENUE GALILEE - CS 80403
13591 AIX EN PROVENCE CEDEX 3

----- Mail original ----- 

De: "Ulrich Sibiller" <uli42@gmx.de> 
À: "Walid MOGHRABI" <w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu>, 1172@bugs.x2go.org 
Envoyé: Vendredi 5 Mai 2017 21:41:47 
Objet: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1172: Bug#1172: ThunderBird crashes in PubApp mode on amd64 

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Walid MOGHRABI 
<w.moghrabi@servicemagic.eu> wrote: 
> I would recommend disabling GLX by uncommenting this line in /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options : 
> 
> #X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension GLX" 
> 
> GLX is unusable with the current NX-Libs (even Arctica ones) but since the extension is enabled, some components still tries to use H/W acceleration for some parts. 
> I get far better results (especially stability wise) with this option disabled. 
> 
> I would even consider disabling it "by default" until a proper GLX support is added to nx-libs. 

It is not "unusable". But nx offers an old version of GLX only. And 
there seem to be some applications that don't care for the version the 
X server (nxagent in this case) reports. So what should we do? 

It is possible to implement a newer GLX version but that would need 
some investing quite some time. Unfortunately the current nx 
development staff does not have that time... 


Regarding Thunderbird: does it still crash after setting 
gfx.xrender.enabled to true in about:config (respectively user.js)? 

Uli
---
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is private and confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. It is for the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the author by replying to it and then destroy it. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail or any attachment. Thank you


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Tue, 06 Jun 2017 11:25:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Tue, 06 Jun 2017 11:25:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #95 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Just a quick feedback - disabling the extension is confirmed to work for X2Go Stable
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:19:59 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
(subject says it all)

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:25:01 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:25:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #100 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
Cc: 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: Modifier Keys not working as expected
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:20:55 +0200
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> package: x2goclient
>
> (devs: feel free to reassign this to nx-libs/arctica, if the cause is
> not in X2GoClient)
>
> A certain application requires the following keypresses:

Is the spplication's name secret?

> - Hold down ctrl, shift and alt
> - while holding them down, press the space bar
> - let go of shift and space bar, keep holding down ctrl and alt

leaving you with ctrl-alt

> - with ctrl and alt pressed, press a function key (F1-F6)
> - let go of all keys
>
> This works when the application is run on :0 - the "ctrl-alt-Fx" is not
> passed down to X, so no switch to tty1-tty6 occurs, which is the
> intended and expected behavior.

So I guess that the application is consuming that very keypress
somehow by communicating with the X server (grab the key(s) in
question).

> However, with the application running in an X2Go session, the same
> sequence of keys will trigger a switch to tty1-tty6 on the local client.

The application probably also communicates with the X server which
this time is nxagent. So nxagent would probably not pass the grab to
the real X server.

You could try if the coming autograb feature helps here.

But for analysis we'd need the application to see what is doing.

For the records: I think it is nx-libs so we should open an issue
there. But I am not sure if we will be able to fix that at all.

Uli


Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #105 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de>
To: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
Cc: 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Re: Modifier Keys not working as expected
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 13:57:55 +0200
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]
Am 26.09.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:

>> A certain application requires the following keypresses:
> 
> Is the spplication's name secret?

No, but closed-source/commercial/proprietary.


>> - Hold down ctrl, shift and alt
>> - while holding them down, press the space bar
>> - let go of shift and space bar, keep holding down ctrl and alt
> 
> leaving you with ctrl-alt

In theory, yes. But somehow the shift and space bar being pressed and
released first tell it to "keep" the keypresses to itself, rather than
sending them and the function key on to the X Server.


>> - with ctrl and alt pressed, press a function key (F1-F6)
>> - let go of all keys
>>
>> This works when the application is run on :0 - the "ctrl-alt-Fx" is not
>> passed down to X, so no switch to tty1-tty6 occurs, which is the
>> intended and expected behavior.
> 
> So I guess that the application is consuming that very keypress
> somehow by communicating with the X server (grab the key(s) in
> question).
> 
>> However, with the application running in an X2Go session, the same
>> sequence of keys will trigger a switch to tty1-tty6 on the local client.
> 
> The application probably also communicates with the X server which
> this time is nxagent. So nxagent would probably not pass the grab to
> the real X server.
> 
> You could try if the coming autograb feature helps here.

I'll keep that in mind.


> But for analysis we'd need the application to see what is doing.

They offer a time-limited trial version [0], but IIRC, you still need to
register somewhere with your E-Mail address (and they'll send you promo
E-Mails during the trial phase, and possibly even afterwards).


> For the records: I think it is nx-libs so we should open an issue
> there. But I am not sure if we will be able to fix that at all.

As I said, feel free to do so - you're way more knowledgeable about the
code involved than I am.

-Stefan

[0] <https://www.vmware.com/go/tryworkstation-linux-64-de>

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

[signature.asc (application/pgp-signature, attachment)]

Information forwarded to x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org, X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>:
Bug#1172; Package nx-libs. (Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Acknowledgement sent to Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to X2Go Developers <x2go-dev@lists.x2go.org>. (Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:15:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Message #110 received at 1172@bugs.x2go.org (full text, mbox):

From: Ulrich Sibiller <uli42@gmx.de>
To: 1172@bugs.x2go.org
Subject: Fwd: Modifier Keys not working as expected
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 14:14:06 +0200
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> Am 26.09.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
>
>>> A certain application requires the following keypresses:
>>
>> Is the spplication's name secret?
>
> No, but closed-source/commercial/proprietary.
>
>
>>> - Hold down ctrl, shift and alt
>>> - while holding them down, press the space bar
>>> - let go of shift and space bar, keep holding down ctrl and alt
>>
>> leaving you with ctrl-alt
>
> In theory, yes. But somehow the shift and space bar being pressed and
> released first tell it to "keep" the keypresses to itself, rather than
> sending them and the function key on to the X Server.

No, it's the other way round. The X server gets the keypresses and
passes them on to the client(s). This application probably instructs
the xserver to send these keys only to the app and not to anyone else
(and neither interpret them itself).


https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/input/XGrabKeyboard.html states this:

The XGrabKeyboard() function actively grabs control of the keyboard
and generates FocusIn and FocusOut events. Further key events are
reported only to the grabbing client. [...]

If the keyboard_mode argument is GrabModeAsync, keyboard event
processing continues as usual. If the keyboard is currently frozen by
this client, then processing of keyboard events is resumed. If the
keyboard_mode argument is GrabModeSync , the state of the keyboard (as
seen by client applications) appears to freeze, and the X server
generates no further keyboard events until the grabbing client issues
a releasing XAllowEvents() call or until the keyboard grab is
released. Actual keyboard changes are not lost while the keyboard is
frozen; they are simply queued in the server for later processing.




>> But for analysis we'd need the application to see what is doing.
>
> They offer a time-limited trial version [0], but IIRC, you still need to
> register somewhere with your E-Mail address (and they'll send you promo
> E-Mails during the trial phase, and possibly even afterwards).
>
>
>> For the records: I think it is nx-libs so we should open an issue
>> there. But I am not sure if we will be able to fix that at all.
>
> As I said, feel free to do so - you're way more knowledgeable about the
> code involved than I am.

I can do that eventually.

Uli


Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


X2Go Developers <owner@bugs.x2go.org>. Last modified: Thu Dec 13 21:01:22 2018; Machine Name: ymir.das-netzwerkteam.de

X2Go Bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson.