Subject: X2Go session in fullscreen does not adjust screen resolution to client-side display size

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:35:36 +0100

Package: x2goserver
Severity: important
Version: 4.0.0.0

Hi Christoffer,

I submit the below issue as a bug to X2Go BTS. I file it against X2Go  
Server for now, however, a real fix is probably needed in nx-libs  
xfixes extension. So we may reassign this issue later...

On Mo 07 Jan 2013 11:01:26 CET christoffer krakou wrote:

> Hello list
> [ ...]

> On my Ubuntu 12.04 server. Now, when i connect using the x2goclient, it
> works well when i select a resolution and run it in a window, but when i
> select fullscreen, the resolution is 1920 X 1200, no matter the
> resolution on the client monitor. This results in the Unity controls
> being unusable. Before the upgrades, there were no trouble. Is anyone
> else experiencing the same?

It is very likely that not nx-libs caused this, but an upgrade of  
x2goserver to version 4.0.0.0.

In 4.0.0.0 we have added a configuration file (/etc/x2go/x2goagent)  
that disables the GLX and the XFIXES extension. Obviously, disabling  
the XFIXES extension causes problems in precise's Unity and the screen  
resolution is not set properly anymore.

For now, please comment out this line in x2goagent.options:

--- /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options.orig    2013-01-09 12:27:24.755957564 +0100
+++ /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options 2013-01-09 12:20:13.927957925 +0100
@@ -7,7 +7,7 @@
  # Disable XFIXES.
  # Workaround for  
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxfixes/+bug/985202
  #
-X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension XFIXES"
+#X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension XFIXES"

  # Disable GLX, the old mesa version is hopelessly outdated anyways.
  # Unbreaks the gnome3 control center

It seems that the XFIXES extension is used to detect the clients  
screen resolution and hand it over to the desktop shell (or xrandr?).

Still a little in the dark, but the above change in x2goagent.options  
seems to solve the reported issue. However, enabling XFIXES in  
x2goagent again leads to other problems, that were lately discussed on  
IRC. Do what causes least problems for you...

Mike's question at the other devs is: wouldn't it be better to comment  
out the recommended extension disablings as opposed to disabling the  
extension right away and expecting not-so-well tested errors?  
Feedback? Opinions?

Greets,
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, rothenstein 5, 24214 neudorf-bornstein
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 19:44:18 +0000

Control: close -1
Control: tag -1 wontfix

On  Mi 09 Jan 2013 12:35:36 CET, Mike Gabriel wrote:

> Package: x2goserver
> Severity: important
> Version: 4.0.0.0
>
> Hi Christoffer,
>
> I submit the below issue as a bug to X2Go BTS. I file it against  
> X2Go Server for now, however, a real fix is probably needed in  
> nx-libs xfixes extension. So we may reassign this issue later...
>
> the XFIXES extension causes problems in precise's Unity and the  
> screen resolution is not set properly anymore.
>
> Still a little in the dark, but the above change in  
> x2goagent.options seems to solve the reported issue. However,  
> enabling XFIXES in x2goagent again leads to other problems, that  
> were lately discussed on IRC. Do what causes least problems for you...
>
> Mike's question at the other devs is: wouldn't it be better to  
> comment out the recommended extension disablings as opposed to  
> disabling the extension right away and expecting not-so-well tested  
> errors? Feedback? Opinions?

Report is about resizing of Unity7 (2d). Long gone, not supported anymore.

Closing...
Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde
Mike Gabriel, Marienthaler Str. 17, 24340 Eckernförde
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4351) 850 8940

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de