Subject: Missing dependency for x2goserver rpm on RHEL 7.1

From: Shaheed Haque <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:22:02 +0100

Package: x2goserver
Version:
x2goserver-extensions-4.0.1.19-0.0x2go2.1.git20150608.1064.main.el7.centos.x86_64

Hi,

After installing a "minimal install" RHEL 7.1 system, I installed:

$ rpm -qa | grep x2goserver
x2goserver-extensions-4.0.1.19-0.0x2go2.1.git20150608.1064.main.el7.centos.x86_64
x2goserver-xsession-4.0.1.19-0.0x2go2.1.git20150608.1064.main.el7.centos.x86_64
x2goserver-4.0.1.19-0.0x2go2.1.git20150608.1064.main.el7.centos.x86_64

Only to find that arrow keys, cursor keys were not working. When I tried
x2goserver, it complained about not find the base rule. With a bit of
strace'ing, I found the missing file was /*usr*/*share*/*X11*/*xkb*/*rules*/
*base*.*lst*.

The fix was to install xkeyboard-config-2.9-4.el7.noarch, so this looks
like a missing dependency. Please consider adding this to the RedHat
packages.

Thanks for x2go!

Shaheed

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 03:26:34 +0200

On 04.07.2015 12:22 PM, Shaheed Haque wrote:
> strace'ing, I found the missing file was
> //usr///share///X11///xkb///rules///base/./lst/.
> 
> The fix was to install xkeyboard-config-2.9-4.el7.noarch, so this looks like a
> missing dependency. Please consider adding this to the RedHat packages.

Thanks for debugging this!

Depending on xkeyboard-config (RPM) and xkb-data (deb) sounds reasonable.

Mihai

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 02:49:24 -0400

> Depending on xkeyboard-config (RPM) and xkb-data (deb) sounds reasonable.

Hi Mihai,

Perhaps we should Mimic Orion's Fedora/EPEL packaging instead?

He has nxagent depend on xkeyboard-config
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/nx-libs.git/tree/nx-libs.spec

-Mike#2

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 19:43:09 +0200

> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/nx-libs.git/tree/nx-libs.spec

Yeah, and here we come to the fabulous decision of what package should actually
sanely depend on what other package.

Currently, we do not depend on X11 packages in nx-libs (but a select amount of
-dev packages on Debian as build requirements.)

Contrary to that, x2goserver already does depend on X11 packages.

Where does depending on xkeyboard-config make most sense? nxagent itself doesn't
really depend on it - it's working "fine" without that package, maybe with
limitations as presented in this bug report.

Luckily, xkeyboard-config (or xkb-data) has no dependencies, so it doesn't add
any other cruft.

Still, I think (and have also thought about that yesterday) that it's more
appropriate to depend on it in x2goserver instead of nxagent.

Mihai

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 13:50:25 -0400

> appropriate to depend on it in x2goserver instead of nxagent.

Because RPM (prior to 4.12) lacks weak dependencies, that makes sense.

But for dpkg, I recommend adding it to either "recommends" or
"suggests" for nxagent, and adding it to "depends" for x2goserver.

-Mike