Subject: Bug#845: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#845: Intentional forced language?

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 13:06:48 +0200

On 30.04.2015 12:53 PM, Jaakko Haavisto wrote:
> I don't mean to offend you and the x2go team. The point what I was trying to
> make is that location and language are complete different things.

Yes, they are.

> The point is that in windows control panel
> there aren't any good setting for changing the language of the programs.

That's not true. You can set your preferred/enforced language in there.

> I like this MSDN way of developing localization of windows applications:
> (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317790(v=vs.85).aspx)
> User Interface Language Settings
> When planning your MUI application, you must first decide on the languages for
> the user interface and the way to present them to the user. The application can
> support languages in one of these ways:
> 
>   * Follow system language settings. Assume that the user preferred UI languages
>     and the system preferred UI languages, taken together, represent the
>     languages available to the user. Use the fallback mechanism of the resource
>     loader for language selection.

Which is exactly what X2Go Client does, or isn't it?

>   * Make application-specific language settings. Support specific languages and
>     present a selection mechanism to the user.

Not doing this optional suggestion, though.

> ps. I don't wan't to exploit bug to change the language, because I can handle
> Finnish and English languages, but I have colleagues that aren't from Finland
> and their x2go user experience would be much better if they could use whatever
> language they choose without changing windows location. So I started this
> conversion with you so I could propose that adding language selection menu to
> x2go settings could benefit a lot of people.

Sorry, but I don't understand your problem.

In the Windows system settings, language and location settings are two different
things, as you already mentioned.
I generally set my location to Germany and the language to US English. That's
working like a charm for every application I have met so far, including X2Go Client.

Mihai