Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#84: Hardcoded -O3 in CFLAGS

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 16:10:41 +0100

Hi Jan,

On Mi 09 Jan 2013 15:26:06 CET Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>
> On Wednesday 2013-01-09 15:21, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>>> +++ nx-libs-3.5.0.17/nxcomp/Makefile.in
>>> @@ -36,8 +36,7 @@ LIBVERSION=@LIBVERSION@
>>>  #
>>>
>>>  CXX         = @CXX@
>>> -CXXFLAGS    = @CXXFLAGS@ @X_CFLAGS@ @DEFS@ \
>>> -              -Wall -Wpointer-arith
>>> +CXXFLAGS    = @X_CFLAGS@ @DEFS@ -Wall -Wpointer-arith @CXXFLAGS@
>>>  CXXINCLUDES =
>>>  CXXDEFINES  =
>>>
>> AFAIUI, this is not a fix. Instead of replacing the hardcoded values,
>> this patch ensures that all options end behind the hardcoded values.
>> This makes it impossible to drop compiler flags that are specified
>> within.
>>
>> This may be fair when your goal is to only change the optimization
>> level, but may be insufficient when the goal is a hardened build.
>
> I don't care about the "hardened" because that is just another case
> of "user wants to specify his own CFLAGS".
> I had hoped that @CXXFLAGS@ would be those user-specific ones,
> but alas, no.
> *Total dismay at Makefile authors who still squat on CXXFLAGS*

All kind of flags are hard-coded in linux.cf in nx-X11/cf/ (I think).  
You may know imake better then I do. If you could take another look at  
it, that would be awesome.

Note: LDFLAGS appear to be named LDOPTIONS in nx-X11.

Note, that nxcomp, nxcompshad and nxcompext are configured and built  
from within nx-X11/programs/Xserver/Makefile.in (IIRC, might be the  
Makfile.in one level up). So the nx* builds are prepared by imake. I  
guess the only way to address it is to teach imake to let through  
*FLAGS.

The nx-X11 build process is a bummer..., I agree with that. Any help  
and improvement is really appreciated.

Greets + HELP!!! + Arggghhh...,
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, rothenstein 5, 24214 neudorf-bornstein
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb