Subject: Bug#814: Properly starting xubuntu (and others) session in Ubuntu

From: Hrvoje Habjanić <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:30:22 +0100

Package: x2goserver-xsession
Version: 4.0.1.19-0~1062~ubuntu14.04.1

Hi.

It seems that ubuntu requires some additional stuff to be started,
to successfully fork X virtual session. The most notable is calling
of init script with "--user" argument.

Scripts used by /etc/X11/Xsession do most of the stuff ok, and are
used by GUI launchers (ie. lightdm). Unfortunately, it requires
some additional environment variables to work properly.

In most cases, it seems that DESKTOP_SESSION is the most important
one. Following does script properly starts xubuntu session, and is the
same as started from lightdm:

-------[snip]-------

PATH=$PATH:/sbin
export DESKTOP_SESSION=xubuntu

exec /etc/X11/Xsession 'env XAUTHORITY=/home/'$LOGNAME'/.Xauthority /usr/bin/xfce4-session'

-------[snip]-------

It is enough to put this somewhere on OS, and set it up as script
to be started when session start via x2gosession GUI.

List of possible values in "DESKTOP_SESSION" is available in 
/etc/upstart-xsessions.

It would be nice if you could put this information somewhere on the
wiki, so other users can use it to properly start session(s).

Regards,

H.