Subject: Bug#774: please set DESKTOP_SESSION and XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP like local sessions

From: Ryan Tandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:17:40 -0800

Package: x2goserver
Version: 4.1.0.0-0~1215~ubuntu14.04.1
Severity: wishlist

Hi,

In Ubuntu before 15.04, and Debian jessie, the DESKTOP_SESSION for GNOME 
Flashback is actually "gnome-fallback". In particular, this name is 
found in /etc/upstart-xsessions while "gnome-flashback" is not, which 
prevents Upstart user sessions from being enabled. ("gnome-session 
--session=gnome-flashback is still the correct command, though.)

Furthermore, recent (Ubuntu >= 13.10, Debian jessie) login managers also 
export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP using the value of the DesktopNames field 
from the session file. This variable is starting to gain wide use by 
applications that care about the desktop environment they run under.

I can write a patch that adds all this information to x2goruncommand in 
the existing format. However it occurs to me that it might make more 
sense to parse the files in /usr/share/xsessions and use the information 
directly instead of duplicating it. Please let me know which you'd 
prefer to see.

-- 
Ryan Tandy - Programmer/Analyst                      [email-masked]
School District 63 (Saanich)                           +1 250 652 7385