Subject: Bug#76: Fails to use my local SSH agent

From: Reinhard Tartler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:13:11 +0100

Package: pyhoca-gui
Version: 0.2.0.4-0~789~precise1

It would be nice if pyhoca-gui could just reuse my local sshagent,
which happens to be gnome-keyring-daemon.

-- 
regards,
    Reinhard

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:43:22 +0100

tag #76 moreinfo
thanks

HI Reinhard,

> which happens to be gnome-keyring-daemon.

There are several reasons for not using gnome-keyring as ssh-agent, see:
http://dtek.net/blog/how-stop-gnome-keyring-clobbering-opensshs-ssh-agent-ubuntu-1204

The main problem you have with gnome-keyring (at least on squeeze,  
untested on wheezy) is this:

The below command sequence should create an SSH agent forwarding chain  
back to the local-machine host:

  local-machine$ ssh -A user-1@server-1
  server-1$ ssh -A user-2@server-2
  server-2$ ssh -A user-3@server-3

This works flawlessly with ssh-agent, but fails with gnome-keyring.  
gnome-keyring simple loads the local keys (by finding them under their  
default names). That's it.

Expected behaviour would be: mix auth info from the forwarded  
ssh-agent (running on local-machine) with SSH keys found in .ssh on  
the local-system.

Are you affected by this restriction of GNOME keyring?

Maybe time to disable SSH agent functionality in GNOME-keyring?

Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, rothenstein 5, 24214 neudorf-bornstein
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:56:06 +0100

Hi Reinhard,

> which happens to be gnome-keyring-daemon.

Ah... I just realized... The current HEAD of code can reuse the local  
ssh-agent and it can also forward ssh-agent auth requests in the X2Go  
session back to the client pyhoca-gui runs on (feature not yet in  
x2goclient).

What I wrote in my previous mail applies to the HEAD of  
pyhoca-gui/python-x2go code.

Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy:

---

From: Reinhard Tartler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:56:27 +0100

> Are you affected by this restriction of GNOME keyring?

No, I am not, because I do not want to use SSH Agent forward. All I
want is that pyhoca uses my local ssh agent, which happens to be
gnome-keyring.

> Maybe time to disable SSH agent functionality in GNOME-keyring?

No, because I quite enjoy using it. Does your response mean that
pyhoca does simply not work work with the gnome ssh agent?

-- 
regards,
    Reinhard