Subject: Ship a default, small-footprint, F/LOSS PDF viewer with x2goclient

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:41:34 +0100

package: x2goclient
severity: wishlist

Hi, this is actually a sub-bug of
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738.

I am fling it as a separate bug because I believe this particular part
of Bug 738 can be resolved rather quickly.

Currently, X2GoClient offers the free choice of X-Servers to be used
with it, but ships with VcXsrv as default and has some "sane" default
settings configured for it, too, so X2GoClient works out of the box.
Whoever wishes to deviate from that path, is, however, free to do so -
X2GoClient has an option to specify a custom X-Server of the user's
choice.

I would like to take a similar approach for printing.
At present, no default PDF viewer is shipped with X2GoClient, and the
user has to fiddle with whichever PDF viewer they choose to get the
parameters right.

SumatraPDF is a free (F/LOSS) PDF viewer that offers a portable
version, i.e. it is a single, self-contained executable that doesn't
require any installation.

It also supports a wide range of command line parameters so it is
ideal for scripted background use (like "open PDF, print to default
printer, close application").

Quoting from http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/manual.html:

> Printing related cmd-line arguments: -print-to-default $file.pdf
> prints a PDF file on a default printer -print-to $printer_name
> $file.pdf prints a PDF on a given printer -print-dialog $file.pdf
> opens a PDF file and shows a print dialog to select printer and
> printing options -exit-on-print when -print-to-default or -print-to
> is used, will
exit after printing

So, basically, "-exit-on-print -print-to-default" is all we'd need for
basic functionality.
If we want to do "enumPrinters" within X2GoClient,
"-exit-on-print -print-to $printer" will also already work.
If we want to leave printer selection to SumatraPDF, "-print-dialog"
has to be used, and we'd probably have to submit a patch to the
SumatraPDF project that "-exit-on-print" be made to work with
"-print-dialog" as well, as the current description seems to indicate
that this is not the case.

Thus, I would ask that some helpful soul steps up and please
a) includes SumatraPDF's standalone executable in the Windows
X2GoClient package
b) adds the proper code to X2GoClient so client-side printing defaults
to using SumatraPDF in the X2Go program directory unless the user has
created a custom configuration.

The rationale for this bug is that adding this feature would increase
usability of X2GoClient just as shipping a default X-Server does.

Portable version of SumatraPDF can be found here:
https://kjkpub.s3.amazonaws.com/sumatrapdf/rel/SumatraPDF-3.0.zip
Sources are here:
https://github.com/sumatrapdfreader/sumatrapdf

- -Stefan

- -- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243