Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#723: Bug#723: Bug#723: x2go sessions insta-break with some GUI software (ROOT TBrowser)

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 04:31:33 +0100

Okay, so last night, I had a chance to try this myself.
Upgrading NX-Libs does not help.
It is indeed more likely to be a client-side issue, rather than a case
of the NX-Libs sending garbage that then kills the client.

When starting the "root" application on a "stable" (Debian Jessie/Stable
and X2Go stable) system, "root" complains at startup that it is missing
a font named adobe-helvetica-<something>, and it hints at package names
that may include this font.
The closest matches to those package names are already installed, though.
Seems to me that it's looking for client-side fonts, rather than
server-side fonts.

Running "TBrowser b" insider "root" causes the crash.

Upgrading to X2Go heuler + Arctica Nightlies does not change a single bit.

However, using the latest stock VcXsrv build
(<https://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/vcxsrv/vcxsrv/1.18.3.0/vcxsrv.1.18.3.0.installer.exe>),
rather than the X2Go/Arctica one fixes the issue - plus the complaint
regarding the missing font goes away.

I tried this by selecting the use of a custom X.org server in
X2GoClient's settings menu, pointing it at the vcxsrv.exe of the newly
installed package, and restarting X2GoClient (this is important) before
attempting to connect.

Next, I tried to find out if it might simply be a font issue.
So I copied the content of the fonts folder from the newer VcXsrv
installation to the one shipped with X2GoClient, set X2GoClient so it
would use its own VcXsrv copy again, and restarted the client.
Sadly, this causes it to crash again when repeating the steps from above
- so it is not a case of missing fonts (alone).

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243