Subject: BPG as bitmap compression engine in NX

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:38:59 +0000

Package: libxcomp3
Severity: wishlist

Hi all,

By Savko Sergey I have just been pointed to the upcoming BPG image  
compression library [1].

Quoting their website:

"""
BPG (Better Portable Graphics) is a new image format. Its purpose is  
to replace the JPEG image format when quality or file size is an  
issue. Its main advantages are:

     High compression ratio. Files are much smaller than JPEG for  
similar quality.
     Supported by most Web browsers with a small Javascript decoder  
(gzipped size: 55 KB).
     Based on a subset of the HEVC open video compression standard.
     Supports the same chroma formats as JPEG (grayscale, YCbCr 4:2:0,  
4:2:2, 4:4:4) to reduce the losses during the conversion. An alpha  
channel is supported. The RGB, YCgCo and CMYK color spaces are also  
supported.
     Native support of 8 to 14 bits per channel for a higher dynamic range.
     Lossless compression is supported.
     Various metadata (such as EXIF, ICC profile, XMP) can be included.
"""

We should take a look at this new compression library and check if it  
is usable in NX.

Mike

[1] http://bellard.org/bpg/

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb