Subject: Desktop Sessions like KDE and ICEWM quit immediately after spawning with x2goserver >4.0.1.15

From: Thomas Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 13:46:41 +0100

Package: x2goserver
Version 4.0.1.18

Hi,

On OpenSUSE 13.1, starting a desktop sessions like KDE or ICEWM isn't
possible. After the window pops up on the client (Windows 7), it is
immediately  closed.
This applies to x2goserver 4.0.1.16, 4.0.1.17, and 4.0.1.18. Version
4.0.1.15 worked fine.

I don't see anything suspicious in the log files even in debug mode.
Starting a simple application, e.g. /usr/bin/firefox, also does work
with version >4.0.1.15.

best regards

Thomas

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Wagner
Institute for Communications and Information Engineering
Johannes Kepler University Linz, 4040 Linz, Austria
mailto: [email-masked]
Phone: +43 732 2468 6404
http://www.nthfs.jku.at

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:15:55 +0000

Hi Thomas,

> Starting a simple application, e.g. /usr/bin/firefox, also does work

Do you have the package x2goserver-xsession installed?

I presume you obtained openSUSE packages from the OBS download  
location. Please note that we provide nightly builds (and soon release  
builds) for openSUSE, as well.
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:nightly-builds#nightly_builds_for_opensuse_sles

This issue may be a packaging issue on OBS...

Greets,
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Thomas Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:27:32 +0100

Hi,

I was using the OBS version, as suggested by
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:repositories:suse.
After the bug appeared, the main x2go repo was reverted to 4.0.1.15.
The OBS version does not have an x2goserver-xsessions package since the
files contained there are already included in the rpm for x2goserver.

I gave the nightly build a short try and it seems to work. However, now
I don't know if it's a packaging bug or a bug that has been fixed in
between version 4.0.1.18 and the nightly built version.

best regards

Thomas

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:15:09 +0000

Hi Thomas,

> between version 4.0.1.18 and the nightly built version.

in previous versions of X2Go Server, desktop sessions were executed  
like rootless applications if the Xsession mechanism failed in  
x2goserver-xsession.

This was changed for 4.0.1.16, however, now all desktop session  
startups fail for distributions we are not aware of.

For openSUSE (or SUSE in general, actually), this was fixed by a  
post-4.0.1.18 commit (present in the nightly builds and pending for  
release 4.0.1.19):
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d98f8999f60840329241d82de6d741d1c2cbc9c

I will add a bug closure for this bug to the corresponding changelog entry.

Greets,
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy:

---

From: Thomas Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:19:42 +0100

Hi,

In
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d98f8999f60840329241d82de6d741d1c2cbc9c
you added a poll for /etc/SUSE-brand
However, on my openSUSE 13.1 systems /etc/SuSE-release exists and
/etc/SUSE-brand is not there.

best regards

Thomas

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:00:20 +0000

> /etc/SUSE-brand is not there.

Cool! I will add that!

Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy: