Subject: Finally managed to record the issue "on tape"

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:55:48 +0200

Hi everyone,

please have a look at http://youtu.be/5RJ2kwrgeXI

This is X2Go Client 4.0.3.0 showing the 5-second startup delay
(hourglass cursor).

Note that the on-access virus scanner was disabled for this recording,
as can be seen on the lower right (red icon), so we can that one rule
out as the cause of the problem.

Things I learned, trying to capture this:
- - The effect does not occur inside a VMware Workstation VM.
  So you neither see it nor will you be able to record it there.
- - The effect does occur on real hardware as well as on a Linux-LVM
  accessed via RDP.
- - It is impossible to record the effect using CamStudio.
  While you can witness the effect occurring live, the recorded video
  will only show the regular mouse arrow.
- - Recording the effect was possible using Microsoft Expression Encoder.
  $DEITY knows why.

@Alex: This effect occurs since you tried to introduce the "reaper"
process (even before you split x2goclient.exe into half with the
helper, I think).
It was not present before that.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

- -- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

---

From: Oleksandr Shneyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:38:58 +0100

Hello Stefan,

I tried to launch newest client from nightly builds on Win7. I see a
"waiting" pointer on the start of x2go client. But in this time I can
use X2Go Client without problem and UI is responsible at that time. Did
I understand you right? You have 5 sec. delay and during this delay you
can't use a UI?

regards,
Alex

Am 22.10.2014 16:55, schrieb Stefan Baur:
> - The effect does not occur inside a VMware Workstation VM.
> - The effect does occur on real hardware as well as on a Linux-LVM
>   accessed via RDP.
> - It is impossible to record the effect using CamStudio.
> - Recording the effect was possible using Microsoft Expression Encoder.
>   $DEITY knows why.
> 

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Oleksandr Shneyder        | Email: [email-masked]
phoca GmbH                | Tel. : 0911 - 14870374 0
Ludwig-Feuerbach-str. 18  | Fax. : 0911 - 14870374 9
D-90489 Nürnberg          | Mobil: 0163 - 49 64 461

Geschäftsführung:
Dipl.-Inf. Oleksandr Shneyder

Amtsgericht München | http://www.phoca-gmbh.de
HRB 196 658         | http://www.x2go.org
USt-IdNr.: DE281977973
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:51:09 +0100

Am 24.11.2014 um 15:38 schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:

> I tried to launch newest client from nightly builds on Win7. I see
> a "waiting" pointer on the start of x2go client. But in this time I
> can use X2Go Client without problem and UI is responsible at that
> time. Did I understand you right? You have 5 sec. delay and during
> this delay you can't use a UI?

Sorry for not replying sooner.  No, we're talking about the same
cursor.  "Hourglass-and-Pointer", not "Hourglass".

So while yes, one can use the UI during these 5 seconds, it
nevertheless is confusing to the user.  The initial reaction of the
average user is "Oh, that thing's busy, I should wait".  A
non-technical user will not differentiate between
"Hourglass-and-Pointer" and "Hourglass".

Since previous versions of X2GoClient did not exhibit this behavior, I
am expecting complaints about a sudden slow startup (from
non-technical users, that are not aware of the difference between
those two cursor types) when I roll this thing out.

Is there no way we can avoid this? Maybe start the background
processes and the reaper only when a session is in the startup phase,
and not immediately when x2goclient.exe start?

- -Stefan

- --

---

From: Oleksandr Shneyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 10:30:08 +0100

Hello Stefan,

Actually, I don't see it as a problem at all, but I understand your
point. I'll see, what I can do about it.

regards,
Alex

Am 08.01.2015 um 17:51 schrieb Stefan Baur:
> -Stefan

Geschäftsführung:

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 11:08:12 +0100

Am 09.01.2015 um 10:30 schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:
> Actually, I don't see it as a problem at all, but I understand
> your point. I'll see, what I can do about it.

Wow.  Thank you. :-) I'm honestly surprised, in a pleasant way.

- -Stefan

- --

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 08:57:26 -0500

The way I see it, there are 2 parts of the issue.

1. Something is happening for 5 seconds.
2. During those 5 seconds, X2Go Client is displaying the Hourglass-and-Pointer.

We should be able to fix the issue by solving either part.

Perhaps there is some Qt feature we need to adjust in order to fix part #2?

-Mike#2

>> and not immediately when x2goclient.exe start?
[...]