Subject: Bug#525: x2goclient.exe shows "arrow and hourglass" cursor for 5 seconds during startup

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:42:28 +0200

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.0.2.1-pre01

Hi,

x2goclient for Windows up to 4.0.0.3 used to look "frozen" for a
fraction of a second during startup.

With 4.0.2.0, that annoying effect was suddenly gone, possibly due to
the change to the new pulseaudio version.
It is also not present in the nightlies up until 2014-06-11.

4.0.2.1-pre01 now exhibits a similar, slightly annoying behavior:

When run by double-click from a folder view, it displays an "arrow and
hourglass" cursor on Windows 7 x64 for approximately 5 seconds during
startup.

It does not happen when the same x2goclient.exe is run from the
commandline. There, response is instantaneous like in 4.0.2.0 and in the
nightlies up to 2014-06-11.

I have no explanation for that effect, but maybe one of our devs can
shed some light on this?

-Stefan

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 10:21:06 +0200

> I have no explanation for that effect, but maybe one of our devs can

To either confirm or rule out that Alex' recent changes to x2goclient
introduced this behavior, Mike#2 has agreed to provide a special test
build of x2goclient with

http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goclient.git;a=commit;h=76777fca627f287f8d721023a44646d13e13accb

(Alex' change that broke the nightlies) and

http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goclient.git;a=commit;h=093543e62d00d8b0dcfb36798fa48bd8757fb17e
(Alex' fix to make the nightlies work again)

removed.

If this fixes the issue, Mike#1 has already announced that he will
revert those changes from the code for the 4.0.2.1 release.

I volunteer as a tribute, err, as a guinea pig for the test build.

-Stefan

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 11:15:22 +0200

> I volunteer as a tribute, err, as a guinea pig for the test build.

Okay, Mike#2 provided the build
(http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/previews/4.0.2.1/x2goclient-4.0.2.1-pre03-setup.exe),
I tested it, bug is gone.
So we have identified the two commits that introduced it.

@Mike#1:
1) Please remove them from the official tree for 4.0.2.1, as per your
previous offer to do so.

2) Please discuss the proper way to re-introduce them in a way that
doesn't influence startup time negatively with Alex and possibly Mihai.
Mihai seemed to have a few suggestions as to how to solve the issue - me
being anything but a C/C++ expert, I can't comment on their quality,
though my gut feeling is that he may be right - after all, he has proven
to be an able coder previously (Cowbytes and Endians ...).

-Stefan