Subject: Bug#566: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#566: Bug#566: X2Go Client for Windows 4.0.2.1 cannot create C:\Users\<username>\ssh\known_hosts file when the local Windows account username has non-Ascii characters

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:52:31 +0000

Hi Mike#2, hi George,

On  So 07 Sep 2014 12:04:51 CEST, George Trakatelis wrote:

> c. As toLocal8Bit() returns the local 8-bit representation of a string,
> I changed the system locale for non-unicode programs to German.
> Now the patch worked!
>
> I think the patch solves the problem for the Windows users who use English
> as a foreign language and prefer having (non-Ascii) usernames in  
> their native language.
>
> -George
>
> PS. A better title for the bug would be
>
> X2Go Client for Windows 4.0.2.1 cannot create  
> C:\Users\<username>\ssh\known_hosts file when the local Windows  
> account username has non-Ascii characters

Now that I think of it more thoroughly... Shouldn't we do a proper  
encode/decode here so that we convert UTF-8 to Windows-CP1251 encoding  
[1]?

Alternatively, one could work with filenames in UTF-16 as shown in  
this [2] example.

I am not sure about the exact position in the code that bugs this up,  
but I fear, the solution is non-trivial.

Either you need to detect the client-side encoding and convert between  
UTF-8 and that encoding, or we may consider addressing file names in  
UTF-16 (if that is possible in Qt).

Unfortunately, it seems that Windows uses different encodings at  
different places (e.g. command.exe vs. Windows Explorer).

Just guessing after a little bit of internet research on this,
Mike#1

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.general/39868
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg00099.html

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb