Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#610: Add versioning information to nxcomp

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:02:26 +0000

Control: notfound -1 3.5.0-27
Control: found -1 3.5.0.27

Hi Nito,

On  Mo 15 Sep 2014 00:28:51 CEST, Nito Martinez wrote:

> Package: nx-libs
> Version: 3.5.0-27
>
> It would be desirable to add some versions to be able to get the  
> version of the
> NXComp library.
> These should be defined in NX.h, to be used from other clients, and
>
> Attached is a patch that defines the following functions:
>
> extern const char* NXVersion();
> extern int NXMajorVersion();
> extern int NXMinorVersion();
> extern int NXPatchVersion();
>
> In the patch assigned the VERSION has been set to 3.5.28, just to  
> highlight that
> it would be good to change the VERSION of nxcomp whenever a patch is applied
> to the code.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nito

Thanks for sending in that patch.

However, the next upstream release of NX redistributed is planned to  
be 3.5.0.28.

The idea starting the NX version with 3.5.0 was to reflect what  
"upstream" version we obtained from NoMachine (they use three digits,  
NX redistributed uses _four_ digits in the version string). The fourth  
part of the version quadruple is the NX/X2Go/QVD redistributed patch  
level, so to say.

If that will not cause any technical issues, can you rewrite that  
patch so it handles four digit version strings (major, minor, micro,   
X2Go/QVD-patchlevel).

Please also note that an upstream version like 3.5.0-28 will cause  
convention issues with most Linux distributions. In Debian, for  
example, the part left of the "-" denotes the upstream version, the  
part right of the "-" denotes the package revision inside Debian. So  
we should avoid using a dash in the NX-libs upstream version.

Thanks!
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb