Subject: Bug#599: GNOME3 flashback session refuses to launch on Debian 8 jessie

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 09:22:19 +0000

Hi Michael,

On  So 07 Sep 2014 21:53:08 CEST, Michael DePaulo wrote:

> The problem appears to be that the current version of source & binary
> package "gnome-session", 3.12.1-3 (in both jessie and sid), checks for
> hardware 3D acceleration even when launching GNOME flashback session,
> which does not require acceleration.
>
> There is probably also a problem with the composite extension not
> being available (or not being new enough.)
>
> x2goserver will probably need to pass an argument like
> "--disable-acceleration-check" to gnome-session, once that argument is
> implemented by gnome-session. So I figured I'd report this bug against
> x2goserver.

Fine by me. Once we have that option in GNOMEv3.

> GNOME bug: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=731173
> Corresponding Ubuntu bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/1251281
> Debian bug: Couldn't find one
>
> Mike#1, how do you propose we word this bug in the Debian BTS? Do you
> want me to submit it or, should you? You are a DD after all.

Focusing on getting it into jessie only makes sense, if we can provide  
a concrete patch that provides a fix to that issue in Debian.

If we don't have a patch, then the issue is unlikely to get fixed  
before the jessie release, I feel.

As X2Go is not very usable with Debian's GNOMEv3 at the moment, I  
guess not many on the GNOME packaging team are interested in getting  
this changed before jessie. However, you could ping mitya57 [1] on  
#debian-devel (irc.debian.org) and check if he is open to a solution  
for GNOMEv3+X2Go.

Check if we can present a patch for GNOMEv3 in Debian, Talk to mitya57  
/ Dmitry. If all is positive, please draft a BTS report and I proxy it  
through, but maybe once you have chatted with mitya57, it makes sense  
that you post the BTS issue directly, yourself.

If there are hurdles upcoming in all this, I would lower priority and  
focus on other tasks (IMHO).

Greets,
Mike

[1]  
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/g/gnome-panel/gnome-panel_3.8.1-2_changelog
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb