Subject: Bug#591: Works under certain configurations, not others

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 10:46:07 -0400

Hi Tristan and X2Go devs,

1. I was *able* to reproduce this bug under X2Go Client for Windows.
To be perfectly clear, it only happens when you are launching a remote
application ("Single Application" or "Published Application"), not
when you are launching a KDE session.

I tested a KDE session, and the system tray icons successfully showed
up under the KDE system tray. I tested both Kopete and KTorrent.

2. I was *able* to reproduce this bug using regular X11 forwarding
(ssh -Y hostname) under Cygwin XWin and Cygwin SSH.

I attached the command-line output from this. (KWrite does not use a
system tray icon. I ran KWrite anyway as a test.)

3. I was *unable* to reproduce this bug when using regular X11
forwarding (ssh -Y hostname) on an Ubuntu 14.04 machine running MATE
1.8.0. Under this configuration, the system tray icons successfully
show up in the MATE system tray. I tested both Kopete and KTorrent.

4.  Based on 1, 2 and 3, this bug may be a limitation of VcXsrv (our X
server that runs on Windows) and Cygwin XWin rather than nxagent.
VcXsrv and Cygwin XWin share a lot of code in common. If we prove this
to be the case, we should keep this bug open as a "known issue" and
reassign it to package x2goclient. (We may also fix the bug in VcXsrv
too.)

Also, I will report this to the Cygwin/X mailing list.
(Cygwin and Cygwin/X use their mailing lists to track bugs.)

Test Server:
- OpenSUSE 13.1 64-bit with only the default KDE packages installed
and the x2goserver package (and its dependencies) installed.
- All updates applied to OpenSUSE.
- x2goserver 4.0.1.15-4.1 from the OBS (on SUSE, this package includes
the xsession script)
- nxagent 3.5.0.27-1.1
- VM Hosted on the Fedora 20 KVM/virt-manager hypervisor
- Accessed the VM "locally" by connecting to KVM's SPICE interface
from a Windows machine with VirtViewer 1.0.

Test Client 1:
- Windows 8.1 64-bit with all the latest important, recommended, and
optional updates installed
- X2Go Client 4.0.3.0-2014.09.07 (nightly build)

Test Client 2:
- Windows 8.1 64-bit with all the latest important, recommended, and
optional updates installed
- Cygwin 32-bit 1.7.32 with xorg-server 1.16.0-1

Test Client 3:
- Ubuntu 14.04.1 64-bit with most of the latest updates and numerous
packages installed
- MATE 1.8.0 installed from http://repo.mate-desktop.org/archive/1.8/ubuntu

-Mike#2