Subject: Works under certain configurations, not others

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 10:46:07 -0400

Hi Tristan and X2Go devs,

1. I was *able* to reproduce this bug under X2Go Client for Windows.
To be perfectly clear, it only happens when you are launching a remote
application ("Single Application" or "Published Application"), not
when you are launching a KDE session.

I tested a KDE session, and the system tray icons successfully showed
up under the KDE system tray. I tested both Kopete and KTorrent.

2. I was *able* to reproduce this bug using regular X11 forwarding
(ssh -Y hostname) under Cygwin XWin and Cygwin SSH.

I attached the command-line output from this. (KWrite does not use a
system tray icon. I ran KWrite anyway as a test.)

3. I was *unable* to reproduce this bug when using regular X11
forwarding (ssh -Y hostname) on an Ubuntu 14.04 machine running MATE
1.8.0. Under this configuration, the system tray icons successfully
show up in the MATE system tray. I tested both Kopete and KTorrent.

4.  Based on 1, 2 and 3, this bug may be a limitation of VcXsrv (our X
server that runs on Windows) and Cygwin XWin rather than nxagent.
VcXsrv and Cygwin XWin share a lot of code in common. If we prove this
to be the case, we should keep this bug open as a "known issue" and
reassign it to package x2goclient. (We may also fix the bug in VcXsrv
too.)

Also, I will report this to the Cygwin/X mailing list.
(Cygwin and Cygwin/X use their mailing lists to track bugs.)

Test Server:
- OpenSUSE 13.1 64-bit with only the default KDE packages installed
and the x2goserver package (and its dependencies) installed.
- All updates applied to OpenSUSE.
- x2goserver 4.0.1.15-4.1 from the OBS (on SUSE, this package includes
the xsession script)
- nxagent 3.5.0.27-1.1
- VM Hosted on the Fedora 20 KVM/virt-manager hypervisor
- Accessed the VM "locally" by connecting to KVM's SPICE interface
from a Windows machine with VirtViewer 1.0.

Test Client 1:
- Windows 8.1 64-bit with all the latest important, recommended, and
optional updates installed
- X2Go Client 4.0.3.0-2014.09.07 (nightly build)

Test Client 2:
- Windows 8.1 64-bit with all the latest important, recommended, and
optional updates installed
- Cygwin 32-bit 1.7.32 with xorg-server 1.16.0-1

Test Client 3:
- Ubuntu 14.04.1 64-bit with most of the latest updates and numerous
packages installed
- MATE 1.8.0 installed from http://repo.mate-desktop.org/archive/1.8/ubuntu

-Mike#2

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 00:45:33 -0400

Another test.

It failed.

4. I was *able* to reproduce this bug when using X2Go Client 4.0.2.1)
on an Ubuntu 14.04 client machine running MATE 1.8.1. I tested both
Kopete and KTorrent.

(Just to be sure, I re-tested test case 3 now that I updated MATE to
1.8.1 and the rest of Ubuntu. It still passed.)

Test Client 4:
- Ubuntu 14.04.1 64-bit with the latest updates and numerous packages installed
- MATE 1.8.1 installed from ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/ppa &
ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/trusty-mate
- X2Go Client 4.0.2.1-0~614~ubuntu14.04.1
- nxproxy 3.5.0.27-0~446~ubuntu14.04.1

---

From: Tristan Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:36:02 +0200

Greetings.

> when you are launching a KDE session.

Yes, that's right.  Sorry for not mentioning this; I never launch entire 
desktop sessions so I'd forgotten to test that.  I can also confirm that 
for me the system tray icon has always appeared as expected when launching 
the applications over a regular OpenSSH session with X11 forwarding.  It's 
only when launching a single application from x2go that the problem occurs.

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
   _
  _V.-o         Tristan Miller          ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/  ><  To finish what you

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 09:08:29 +0000

Hi Michael, hi Tristan,

> when you are launching a KDE session.

Actually, this can be blamed on the way how X11 integrates with MS Windows.

We would need an app that docks into the Windows system tray and  
proxies system tray icons coming in from applications running in  
VcXsrv/X11.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-0.2.html#docking

So you would need an app that is standing with one leg in X11,  
providing the system-tray-provider specs as defined by freedesktop.org  
and standing in MS Windows with the other leg, proxying the incoming  
X11 systray icons/menus to the Windows system tray.

Never heard of something like this to exist, actually.

Any ideas???

Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 07:41:00 -0400

Hi Mike#1,

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 5:08 AM, Mike Gabriel
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> We would need an app that docks into the Windows system tray and proxies
> system tray icons coming in from applications running in VcXsrv/X11.
>
> So you would need an app that is standing with one leg in X11, providing the
> system-tray-provider specs as defined by freedesktop.org and standing in MS
> Windows with the other leg, proxying the incoming X11 systray icons/menus to
> the Windows system tray.
>
[...]

Can you explain why it works under test case 3 (X11 forwarding from an
Ubuntu client) but not under test case 4 (X2Go from an Ubuntu client)?

That would certainly give us a clue.

-Mike#2

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 12:13:03 +0000

Hi Michael,

> That would certainly give us a clue.

I guess it fails in X2Go, because X2Go single applications use nxagent  
as their display (in rootless mode). The rootless NX windows then get  
displayed on the local X11 via nxproxy.

With ssh -X you don't encapsulate applications in a separate Xserver  
(NX agent), but connect the applications directly to the local X11  
server.

Greets,
Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy: