Subject: x2goclient is missing VcXsrv/zlib1.dll

From: Ivan Kozik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:08:01 +0000

Package: x2goclient
Severity: critical
Version: 4.0.2.1

x2goclient-4.0.2.1+hotfix1+build3-setup.exe does not install
VcXsrv/zlib1.dll, which leads X2Go Client to fail to connect with
"Can't start X Server / Please check your installation".  You can also
check by running vcxsrv.exe and seeing the missing-DLL dialog.

This worked fine with x2goclient-4.0.2.0-setup.exe

Thanks,

Ivan

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:20:49 +0200

> This worked fine with x2goclient-4.0.2.0-setup.exe

Unable to confirm (Windows 7 x86).
Fresh install of x2goclient-4.0.2.1+hotfix1+build3-setup.exe, running
the actual setup.

zlib1.dll *is* there, it's in the x2goclient main directory, though.
Not in the VcXsrv subdirectory.
x2goclient connects just fine and starts VcXsrv.

If you're missing the zlib1.dll, check that you don't have an
overzealous virus scanner that might have quarantined it by accident.

-Stefan

---

From: Ivan Kozik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:49:23 +0000

(Sending again to the right address, sorry)

> Not in the VcXsrv subdirectory.

I do have a zlib1.dll in the x2goclient main directory, but that
wasn't enough to make VcXsrv work.

> x2goclient connects just fine and starts VcXsrv.

I found the problem: it looks like it works only when you start
x2goclient with the current directory set to the install directory (in
my case, "C:\Program Files (x86)\x2goclient").  It does ship with a
working shortcut, but I made my own that didn't set up the cwd
properly.

In my case, it was because runas didn't pass through the "Start In" directory:

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /savecred /profile /user:x2go
"C:\Program Files (x86)\x2goclient\x2goclient.exe"

but it can also happen if you just have the wrong "Start In" directory
on the shortcut.

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:04:31 +0000

Control: close -1
Control: tag -1 not-a-bug

> but it can also happen if you just have the wrong "Start In" directory

Thanks for reporting your observed issue.

I close this bug as the problem seems to be related to your setup.

Launching X2Go Client always requires to cwd to its installation  
directory, otherwise its DLLs will not be found.

We won't register the shipped cygwin-based DLLs system-wide as the  
danger of interference with other cygwin-based applications is too high.

Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Ivan Kozik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:46:42 +0000

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Mike Gabriel
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Launching X2Go Client always requires to cwd to its installation directory,
> otherwise its DLLs will not be found.

I don't think this is true - like almost all programs, x2goclient.exe
starts fine with an incorrect cwd.  The problem arises only when
x2goclient tries to start VcXsrv.

Also, it's rather hard to figure out the source of the problem from
the "Can't start X Server / Please check your installation" message.