Subject: Bug#587: I believe I should fix this

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:40:59 -0400

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Mike Gabriel
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Thanks for reporting your observed issue.
>
> I close this bug as the problem seems to be related to your setup.
>
> Launching X2Go Client always requires to cwd to its installation directory,
> otherwise its DLLs will not be found.

Hi Mike#1 and Ivan,

I believe I should fix this bug. I am going to re-open it.

Unless I hear new reasons otherwise, in about 10 hours I will:
1. re-release the .zips for VcXsrv 1.14.3.2
http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/3rd-party/vcxsrv-modified-by-x2go-project/
2. update the X2GoWinBuilder VM that handles nightly builds
3. launch X2Go Client 4.0.2.1+hotfix-build4 with the fix.

This is why I believe I should fix this bug:

1. Every Windows program searches its own directory for DLLs, before
searching the PATH and cwd. This is the design of Windows. We can fix
X2GoClient being able to start successfully with your cwd being
different by including VcXsrv\zlib1.dll. There is no need to register
the DLL system-wide. And it's not a cygwin DLL anyway; its a native
Windows binary built from the VcXsrv/VcXsrv-xp source tree.

2. On my system, I can launch X2Go Client successfully from another
cwd. This includes x2goclient.exe, vcxsrv.exe, sshd.exe (cygwin) and
nxproxy.exe (cygwin). The only reason vcxsrv.exe does work is that I
have c:\gnuwin\bin\ZLIB1.dll in my PATH, where as most users likely do
not have any zlib1.dll in their PATH. (I determined this using
Dependency Walker.)

3. My manual build instructions state that I should include
VcXsrv\zlib1.dll. During the manual build process, I included
VcXsrv\xwininfo.exe instead of zlib1.dll.

4. We should provide vcxsrv.exe with its own zlib1.dll. It is
VcXsrv-xp's own version of the file for reasons mentioned in #1.

Respectfully,
-Mike#2

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:54:14 +0000

Control: reopen -1
Control: tag -1 - not-a-bug

Hi Mike#2,

> VcXsrv-xp's own version of the file for reasons mentioned in #1.

Thanks for this explanation. Agreeing. Bug already reopened.

Greets,
Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb