Subject: Bug#108: Missing fonts in X application

From: Stephane Mutz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:53:55 +0100

Package: x2goclient

Setup: X2go server on Ubuntu 12.10, client on Win7

Issue: One of our CAD application displays unreadable text. When trying
to select another font, only one is available. xlsfonts also reports only a
few fonts. The application works fine locallyor when using a Linux X2go 
client
and xlsfonts shows a long list of fonts.

How to solve: Install the 'font' directory from the VcXsrv mainline package.
After that, the application shows readable text and provides a large 
selection
of alternative fonts.

I think it would be good to bring the Windows and Linux client closer by 
shipping
a more complete VcXsrv with it or at least offering the option.

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:09:02 +0100

> a more complete VcXsrv with it or at least offering the option.

This reminds me of an issue with NoMachine's NX Client.  I'm not sure if 
they still do so, but they used to offer separate font packages for 
download on the same page as their Windows client.  The note next to 
them said that you'd only need them for really old X applications that 
require client-side fonts; all modern applications would use server-side 
fonts and work fine without these extra packages.

Out of curiosity, how old is your application?  Maybe there is a way to 
make it work with server-side fonts?

-Stefan