Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#108: Can we close #108?

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 23:49:56 -0400

Hi Mike#2,

I have not had much time to work on this. I have been thinking about it though.

1. Regardless of the rest of what we decide, do not close this bug
until is is more obvious about the different builds being available.
Please provide feedback to the email thread: "How to handle the
different Windows builds"
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.terminal-server.x2go.devel/7158
And notice that I created a "non-default-builds" subfolder for 4.0.2.1 previews:
http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/previews/4.0.2.1/
And I think the home page should be updated to link to the latest
stable folder (.e.g, releases/4.0.2.1/, not
releases/4.0.2.1/non-default-builds/) . And this will solve the
problem of people reporting to us that they installed
"X2GoClient_latest_mswin32-setup.exe"

2. The separate X2Go builds are a temporary fix. Having 3 separate
builds (before factoring in the debug build) are adding a lot more
work for me. I never intended to close this bug with only them
available.

3. I supposed we could close this bug and open a new bug report for a
better/permanent fix. Or clone this bug for a better/permanent fix.
I'll leave which approach to take to your judgment.

4. When I get more free time, I'll do the following for a better/permanent fix:

a. Determine why the fonts are needed by some Linux applications, but
not others.
b. Determine what the default should be (I am leaning towards the
"misc" set. Empirically, it solves the compatibility problems for most
people, if not everyone. The "full" set makes the installer take much
longer and adds lots more files to the filesystem, so I'd rather not
make that the default.)
c. I'll probably integrate them into the regular installer as an
optional component, instead of putting them in a separate installer.
This means that the installer will be 48.5 MB in size with solid lzma
compression (compared to 56.0 MB with zlib compression.) However, in
2014, I think that 48.5 MB is reasonable.

Do not expect the permanent fix to arrive in time for 4.0.2.1.

-Mike

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 08:13:26 +0000

Hi Michael,

> 2014, I think that 48.5 MB is reasonable.

How about this:

We set up a new X2Go subproject called

   x2go-xfonts.git

This subproject contains _all_ extra fonts and mainly is an NSIS installer.

This installer can be used to install those extra fonts into the  
correct directory for X2Go Client _and_ for PyHoca-GUI.

The user/admin can install if he/she wants to install the fonts at  
both locations (%ProgramFiles%\x2golient, %ProgramFiles%\PyHoca-GUI)  
or only at one of them.

The X2Go Client setup.exe should remain rather minimal IMHO.

> Do not expect the permanent fix to arrive in time for 4.0.2.1.

Absolutely fine!

Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 08:39:49 -0400

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:13 AM, Mike Gabriel
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> This installer can be used to install those extra fonts into the correct
> directory for X2Go Client _and_ for PyHoca-GUI.
>
> The user/admin can install if he/she wants to install the fonts at both
> locations (%ProgramFiles%\x2golient, %ProgramFiles%\PyHoca-GUI) or only at
> one of them.
>
[...]

As Mike#1 and agreed on IRC, I will put the fonts in the X2Go Client
installer as an optional component. These are the reasons:

1. Windows does not have a proper dependency system. So you can remove
x2goclient or pyhoca-gui without removing the fonts.
2. I have to maintain the mapping between x2goclient/pyhoca-gui
versions and the font package versions. This is because the fonts do
change with different VcXsrv releases
3. Users expect "all the dependencies and optional components" to be
in 1 installer on Windows. In fact, that is the recommendation for
Windows.

Also, we will close this bug once the fonts are in the X2Go Client installer.

-Mike#2