Subject: Fwd: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#512: Bug#512: Bug#448: Bug#512: Auto log-in (ssh-agent) doesn't work since 4.0.1.2

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:59:11 +0200

Damn,

this should have gone directly to the bugtracker, but I mis-clicked when
responding.

-Stefan

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Am 16.07.2014 10:54, schrieb Stefan Baur:
> Am 16.07.2014 10:43, schrieb Ilia Shakitko:
>> I've installed: x2goclient-4.0.2.1+hotfix1-setup.exe
>>
>> It still doesn't work. It asks me for a credentials. What should I input
>> - I have no idea. I tried my key password, I tried password from my
>> machine - doesn't work.
> 
> I'm unable to confirm/reproduce that.  Running
> x2goclient-4.0.2.1+hotfix1-setup.exe, PuTTY/Pageant and Windows 7 works
> just fine for me.  Only Pageant asks for my password (once, when it
> loads the key).
> 
> My guess is that there's something broken in your client-side x2go config.
> 
> Can you post a screen shot of the session config window?  The first tab
> is sufficient, and you can censor the server name/ip if you want.

Indeed it is user error:

Ilia provided this screenshot:
http://picpaste.com/e25e23ec34370445d7a579af7d10c7bb.png

It clearly shows that he's specifying a key file - and one in the wrong
format (*.ppk), too - when he actually wants to use Agent authentication.

Ilia:
If you want to use an SSH agent (like Pageant on Windows),
1) *DO* check the "Try auto login (ssh-agent or default ssh key)" box, but
2) *DO NOT* enter anything in the "Use RSA/DSA key for ssh connection"
field!

You only need to specify a keyfile at "Use RSA/DSA key for ssh
connection" if you *DO NOT* want to use SSH agent authentication.

And *IF* you specify a keyfile there, it must adhere to the OpenSSH
keyfile standard. A *.PPK file will *NOT* work, as PuTTY/Pageant uses a
different format.

-Stefan
_______________________________________________
x2go-dev mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev

---

From: Ilia Shakitko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:03:18 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Thx for explanation. Well, this config was taken from the old version
(where either you DO two actions, or it won't work).

Now it works!

-- 
Best regards
Ilia Shakitko
primary     tel. +31-6-86423406
skype: svscorp
LinkedIn:   http://ru.linkedin.com/in/shakitko
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/shakitko

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:09:12 +0200

> (where either you DO two actions, or it won't work).

That can't really be. I have used 4.0.0.3 with my customers, who all use
Pageant, and they only have the checkbox checked, no keyfile specified.

My guess is that the old version simply tried SSH auth agent first, and
once it found a running agent, never bothered to check if there's a file
specified. So you could have specified C:\barak_obamas_pajamas.docx as
keyfile and it would still have worked.

I think I remember that we had a feature request to try multiple things
for ssh auth, so that may have brought that along when it was implemented.

-Stefan