Subject: Bug#503: Can't start X Server, please check your installation

From: postmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:34:22 +0200

Package: X2goclient-4.0.1.3-setup.exe
Version: 4.0.1.3

When i open X2GO on my windows vista, it's crash immediately with this 
message:" Can't start X Server, please check your installation"

so i try to desinstall and reinstall but, OMG, X2GO REMEMBER THE OLD 
PARAMETERS.
(the baby seal with My session / [email-masked] / gnome / 800x600 / 
enabled)

so the desinstallation is not clean !

so, i desinstall X2GO
i try to manually delete ALL THE REPERTORIES, and clean the windows 
register with "Regedit" => done
and i reinstall X2GO.
BUT THE OLD PARAMETERS IS STILL HERE:
OMG I'M stuck with this bug:
the bad parameters is still her: (the baby seal with My session / 
[email-masked] / gnome / 800x600 / enabled)
and one second after (i can't modify nothing)  CRASH " Can't start X 
Server, please check your installation"

so i return to 3.99.2.2
goodbye 4.X
:-/

thank you

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 15:12:22 +0200

> (the baby seal with My session / [email-masked] / gnome / 800x600 /

That's not OMG, that's desired behavior.  Just imagine what would happen
if uninstalling Microsoft Office would mean all your Word and Excel
documents would get deleted as well.  Same here.  Uninstall purges the
program files, but not the data.

> so the desinstallation is not clean !

To purge the data from the particular user profile, you either have to
remove the registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obviously
Nice\x2goclient (in case of a standard x2goclient Windows installation),
or delete the ".x2goclient" folder from the user's home directory (if
you were using x2goclient in portable mode).
This is something you have to do *per user*, so if you logged in as
Administrator to (un)install x2goclient, you need to log off, and log
back on again as the user you were running x2goclient under, *then* run
regedit *as the user* and remove the above-specified tree.

[...]

> goodbye 4.X

Also, you were using an outdated 4.x release.  Please try 4.0.2.0
instead of 4.0.1.3.

-Stefan

---

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 09:43:04 -0400

Hi, I am the Windows maintainer for X2Go Client.

1st of all, I am sorry you ran into this bug. It is on my to-fix list.

2nd, this is a duplicate of bug 109. I am still learning the debian
bug tracking system, I will mark this as a duplicate when I get home
from work.

> program files, but not the data.

As stefan mentioned, the settings are stored per-user. This is why we
do not delete them.

Deleting settings vs deleting session profiles may be another discussion.

> regedit *as the user* and remove the above-specified tree.

As Stefan mentioned, you have to do this per user.

To avoid deleting your session profiles, just follow these per-user
instructions instead to fix this specific bug/setting. They assume you
are not in portable mode. They are mentioned in bug 109 now.

1. Open regedit (you do not need admin rights.)
2. Browse to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obviously
Nice\x2goclient\settings
3.Then set "useintx" to "true"

> Also, you were using an outdated 4.x release.  Please try 4.0.2.0

The bug is still present in 4.0.2.0. However, we still advise
upgrading to 4.0.2.0, largely because of the vulnerabilities in VcXsrv
which have been patched.
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:release-notes-mswin:x2goclient-4.0.2.0

-Mike#2

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 09:56:43 +0000

Control: reassign -1 x2goclient
Control: merge -1 #109

> bug tracking system, I will mark this as a duplicate when I get home

Merging #503 into #109 and reassigning to x2goclient source component of X2Go.

Mike#1
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb