Subject: Fwd: polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 fails to start on specific distros

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 11:44:34 -0400

Package: x2goserver
Version: 4.0.1.13

Notes:

1. I am not sure if this is a bug in x2goserver, x2goserver-xsession,
or in nx-libs.

2. This bug is probably in X2Go's integration with ConsoleKit (or lack
thereof.) PolicyKit depends on ConsoleKit (and on systemd-logind in
newer distros.)

3. RHEL7 beta (systemd-logind) is not affected and pkexec commands do
work. However, PolicyKit authentication within apps fails. I will file
a separate bug about this.

4. I also tested Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS 32-bit (ConsoleKit) with Unity and
with MATE 1.6. On that distro, polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
(Unity) & polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1 do start, but pkexec
commands fail for another reason (the app complains that it cannot
open the display.) A simple workaround for this case is to export
XAUTHORITY 1st, I will file a separate bug about this.

5. polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 is started as gdm, but it
should be started as the user also.

Test system:
CentOS 6.5 64-bit
x2goserver: 4.0.1.13
x2goserver-xsession: 4.0.1.13 (same behavior when this package is not installed)
nx-libs: 3.5.0.22
GNOME
(This distro uses ConsoleKit, not systemd-logind)

[batmin@mothership-el6 ~]$ pkexec gpk-application
Error executing command as another user: No authentication agent was found.
[batmin@mothership-el6 ~]$ ps -ef | grep agent
gdm        653     1  0 11:06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/spice-vdagent
gdm        671   645  0 11:06 ?        00:00:00
/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
batmin    1246     1  7 11:08 ?        00:00:01
/usr/lib64/nx/../x2go/bin/x2goagent -extension XFIXES -nolisten tcp
-dpi 96 -D -auth /home/batmin/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -name
X2GO-batmin-52-1395500884_stDGNOME_dp32 :52
root      1532     1  0 Mar21 ?        00:00:01 /usr/sbin/spice-vdagentd
batmin    1710     1  0 11:08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/spice-vdagent
batmin    2032  2015  0 11:08 pts/0    00:00:00 grep agent
[batmin@mothership-el6 ~]$ /usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2035): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **:
Unable to determine the session we are in: Remote Exception invoking
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GetSessionForUnixProcess() on
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager at name
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit:
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup
session information for process '2035'
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError
Unable%20to%20lookup%20session%20information%20for%20process%20%272035%27
[batmin@mothership-el6 ~]