Subject: Windows PulseAudio 3.0 and later fail to start due to missing cookie

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:32:51 -0500

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.0.1.3

X2Go Client 4.0.1.3 for for Windows is bundled with PulseAudio 1.1. If
you replace 1.1 with 3.0 or later (2.0 was not tested), the
.pulse-cookie file is not created and therefore pulseaudio.exe either
fails to start or repeatedly restarts.

The bottom line is that sound will not work in Windows X2go Client
with these newer versions of PulseAudio.

The simple workaround is to run X2Go Client with PulseAudio 1.1 once
and then exit x2goclient. The cookie will be present even after
x2goclient is closed. Newer versions of PulseAudio can then use that
cookie.

These are my full test results for what files are generated with
different versions of PulseAudio. They were tested on windows 7 32-bit
SP1 Professional (with all important and recommended windows updates
installed.)  "mothership-7-32" is my test VM's hostname.

Note that I tested PulseAudio 1.1 (and 1 or 2 newer versions) under
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional (with all important and recommended
windows updates installed) and the results were the same.

1.1:
Under C:\Users\mike\.x2go\pulse\ :
.pulse-cookie
.esd_auth
.pulse\
.pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\
tmp.Hp2820\
tmp.Hp2820\config.pa

3.0
Under C:\Users\mike\.x2go\pulse\ :
.pulse\
.pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\
tmp.Hp1572
tmp.Hp1572\config.pa
(Pulseaudio.exe does not appear to be running at all, but maybe what
happened under 4.99.2 is happening.)

4.0:
Under C:\Users\mike\.x2go\pulse\ :
.pulse\
.pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\
.pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\pid
tmp.Hp2656
tmp.Hp2656\config.pa
Also, windows complains that "pulseaudio.exe has stopped working". And
it does so repeatedly,.This suggests that x2goclient.exe keeps on
trying to restart pulseaudio.exe

4.99.2:
Under C:\Users\mike\.x2go\pulse\ :
.pulse\
.pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\
.pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\pid (keeps on being created and then
disappearing because pulseaudio.exe keeps stopping and starting)
tmp.Hp3716
tmp.Hp3716\config.pa

-Mike#2