Subject: x2gothinclient does not install 686 kernel

From: Anders Bruun Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:23:31 +0100

Package: x2gothinclientmanagement
Version: 1.1.0.1

I run my tftp/nfs server for my thin clients, on a 64-bit machine (a VM).
When I create a thinclient chroot with x2gothinclient_create, only the 486
kernel gets installed. I can use x2gothinclient_shell and use apt-get to
install linux-image-686, to get the 686 kernel installed. But upon doing
so, the reason for it not being auto installed is apparent: 64-bit machines
don't support PAE (not needed), and the deb package for linux-image-686
knows that this particular kernel is made for machines supporting PAE. I
can just say yes to the warnings, and I even though I end up with an error,
the kernel does get installed. This is not optimal.
I realize this is a problem (in this niche case, it probably "works as
intended") with Debian Wheezy, and not really a job for the developers of
x2go, but since I am running into this problem when using x2go, I am
reporting the problem here, and hopefully it will be sent upstream, if that
is desirable.

-- 
Anders Bruun Olsen
It-ansvarlig
Det Danske Sprog- og Litteraturselskab
(Society for Danish Language and Literature)

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:24:30 +0000

Control: tag -1 moreinfo

Hi Anders,

> reporting the problem here, and hopefully it will be sent upstream, if that

What is your reason for wanting to use the 686 kernel in the first  
place. The reason I removed 686 support from the X2Go TCE is that it

   (a) did not bring any feelable improvements while my TCEs ran under  
Debian squeeze _and_
   (b) did not work fluently if the PXE server machine is a amd64 system

Please enlight me, why 686 would be a sensible kernel alternative to  
use here...

Greets,
Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Stephan Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:18:31 +0100

Hallo Mike

I prefer 686-Kernel on a 32bit System, as it supports multiple cores.

Stephan

-- 
__________________________________________________
Dr. Stephan Wagner
ITos GmbH
Bitzi-Bendel 2555
9642 Ebnat-Kappel
Tel: +41 (0)71 990 05 94
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.itos-gmbh.com
--------------------------------------------------

---

From: Anders Bruun Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:26:37 +0100

Hi Mike,

As the machines used as thin clients grow ever more powerful, at the same
price and energy usage, the features available also keeps expanding. I have
recently bought a Shuttle machine, that is physically smaller than my
current thin clients, comes with the Atom D2550 (one of the newer Atom
CPUs) which has two cores. I also put in 4gb of RAM, since it was almost
the same price as a 2gb RAM module. Like Stephan wrote, without 686 (and in
this case PAE) that system wouldn't be properly utilized. Even if it is
somewhat overpowered for a thin client. As a side note, I am also testing
out the Intel NUC
DCCP847DYE<http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-kit-dccp847dye.html>
which
is a dual core celeron, but it is so small and (like the Shuttle)
completely silent, but does not offer sound out, other than over HDMI.
Anyways, it is a matter of properly utilizing the hardware. It probably
isn't that big a deal, but it would be nice to have.

2013/12/17 Stephan Wagner <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> X2Go-Dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/x2go-dev
>