Subject: Bug#364: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#364: Please add config option to disable bubble help text and change the wording of it

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 22:46:11 +0100

Am 14.12.2013 22:24, schrieb Mike Gabriel:

> /me shyly raises his hand...
>
> I don't care too much for the session name in the bubble. I find it very
> helpful, but I lack normal user perspective, of course. However, I also
> think that we should make the bubble configurable. Actually it might be
> nice to be able to switch notifications on and off in the session
> profile. The default should be: bubbles turned on.

And that's just the point. You're a developer. You need debug messages. 
Displaying a session name for that reason is totally okay, and I can see 
why you want those info bubbles with that content.
BUT:
1) The session name (i.e. the pseudorandom mumbo-jumbo, not the "human 
readable name" - it's okay to display that one to a regular user) should 
only be displayed inside the bubble if the client is in "debug mode". 
Either by adding a --debug or by ticking a checkbox in the options.
2) In debug mode, the message should appear for a longer period of time, 
so that you have a chance to copy and paste it. For me, it disappeared 
before I had a chance to even move my mouse over it from the center of 
my screen. And no, I'm not using a 100" screen. ;-)
3) I still believe that the best way to solve the issue would be to make 
it configurable, like:
- If "Debug" is set, always pop up, display the cryptic name along with 
the session name, and stay visible for at least 10 seconds
- If "Debug" is not set, but "Autostart" is set, completely hide the 
bubble. (optional)
- If neither is set, display the bubble for 4-5 seconds, only showing 
human readable information.

An ordinary user *will* be confused and irritated by that extra info.

[...]

> @Ricardo: Stefan is one of those persons who is very supportive to X2Go
> behind the scenes. He also already contracted Alex for e.g. development
> of the published applications support.

Thanks for putting that into perspective, Mike#1.

> @Stefan: supposing that someone adds ,,silly eye candy'' can be
> insultive, indeed. It's always good to check with the contributors (see
> debian/changelog) and check for the use case and give feedback during he
> development phase (and not 5 minutes before the releases is due). (->
> X2Go Client from the nightly builds for Debian and Ubuntu had the
> bubbles for 2-3 months now and noone complaint so far).

The thing is, so far, I'm only using the Windows client in my daily 
business, so I don't have a chance to catch those changes early on, 
unless you manage to provide nightlies for Windows as well.

The TCE stuff I'm working on in my free time is used by my 68-year old 
Dad (and I'm preparing a second ThinClient for my Mom), and I don't want 
to (ab)use him as a guinea pig for new X2Go features, so I'm not 
updating his client/server installations (aside from security patches - 
  the sources.lists on his machines actually exclude the regular debian 
archive and only include security.debian.org and the x2go wheezy repo) 
unless absolutely necessary.
And for my own personal computer, while it's dual-boot, I'm using 
Windows 7 most of the time, even off duty. Kind of sad, but true - and 
also a usability issue (the move from KDE3 to Win7 was easier than the 
move from KDE3 to KDE4 - and IMO, that's *not* because the Microsoft 
guys did a particularly good job with Win7 *hint, hint*).

Okay, enough ranting for today.

Kind Regards,
Stefan