Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#364: Please add config option to disable bubble help text and change the wording of it

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:24:12 +0000

Hi Ricardo,

On  Sa 14 Dez 2013 21:16:31 CET, Ricardo Díaz Martín wrote:

> I'm the developer that coded at first time the notification message about
> the connection status. Somebody else modified after the code to introduce
> extra information.
>
> 2013/12/11 Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
>
>> Upon connection, an info bubble pops up, containing a *totally cryptic
>> session name* and disappearing after five seconds or so.
>>
>> No non-technical user can make use of that message, seriously. And even
>> technical users will have a hard time memorizing a cryptic session name
>> within 5 seconds.
>>
>
> Complete agree. Not happy to see the session name there.
>
>>
>> Please, also add an option to disable this popup, and seriously consider
>> changing the displayed info to something more user friendly like
>> "Connection to host <host>, session <sessionname> established as user
>> <user>." It's okay to add the cryptic string somewhere where techies can
>> find it if they need it, maybe in an About-Box or so, but please - think of
>> the chil^W ordinary non-technical end user.
>>
>
> I'm agree to show info more user friendly but not agree to add an option to
> disable this popu-p. Not sure who was the developer that added the session
> id to the pop up. If the developer read this post maybe he could explain to
> us why add this info in the pop-up.

/me shyly raises his hand...

I don't care too much for the session name in the bubble. I find it  
very helpful, but I lack normal user perspective, of course. However,  
I also think that we should make the bubble configurable. Actually it  
might be nice to be able to switch notifications on and off in the  
session profile. The default should be: bubbles turned on.

@Ricardo: can you fix the user unfriendliness of the current bubble in  
X2Go Client?

@myself: I will add the configurability of the notifications for the  
next X2Go Client release (4.0.1.3).

>> And again, I'm kind of disappointed that we're adding silly eye candy when
>> there still are serious bugs to fix.
>>
>
> I added the pop-up because if you set on the x2goclient option "hide
> windows on connect" (as I usually do with my users settings) looks like
> nothing happens when you click on connect button. So some users try to do
> again and again and connection stuck. It's no an "eye candy".
>
> In addition, it's complete true there are serious bugs to fix instead to
> add this feature so you have some options:
> - Read in deep the code and send patches to fix them. And of course do it
> for free and using the time you must to be with your family, friends or
> doing some sports or something else...
> - Fork the project and add the features you want
> - Pay for commercial support to fix the bugs and your wishes
>
> I don't want to be rude but it's an opensource project and not very happy
> when somebody use the words "silly eye candy" talking about the time other
> people spent for free.

@Ricardo: Stefan is one of those persons who is very supportive to  
X2Go behind the scenes. He also already contracted Alex for e.g.  
development of the published applications support.
@Stefan: supposing that someone adds ,,silly eye candy'' can be  
insultive, indeed. It's always good to check with the contributors  
(see debian/changelog) and check for the use case and give feedback  
during he development phase (and not 5 minutes before the releases is  
due). (-> X2Go Client from the nightly builds for Debian and Ubuntu  
had the bubbles for 2-3 months now and noone complaint so far).

light+love,
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb