Subject: Bug#307: x2goserver dependency breaks

From: westlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 05:04:39 -0400

Package: x2goserver
Version: 0.01

the python-paramiko package is incompatible with app/s on debian

apt-cache policy python-paramiko
python-paramiko:
   Installed: 1.11.0-0+wheezy~main~878~build1
   Candidate: 1.11.0-0+wheezy~main~878~build1
   Version table:
  *** 1.11.0-0+wheezy~main~878~build1 0
         500 http://packages.x2go.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      1.7.7.1-3.1 0
         500 http://debian.bhs.mirrors.ovh.net/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 
Packages

python-paramiko from packages.x2go.org, for eg breaks mysql-workbench on 
debian..

I suppose I can try to divert or use Wheezy/sid, but I'd just like to 
share this info

Since time is spent into making .deb files, why not simply have it 
available with debian directly? It can prevent the above problem :)

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=465821

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:15:20 +0200

Control: reassign -1 python-x2go
Control: found -1 0.4.0.9
Control: tag -1 moreinfo

On Fr 13 Sep 2013 11:04:39 CEST westlake wrote:

> python-paramiko from packages.x2go.org, for eg breaks  
> mysql-workbench on debian..

Please let me know why you think this. Is there a dependency conflict?  
Or are files in python-paramiko that exist (by name) in any of the  
other Debian packages?

> I suppose I can try to divert or use Wheezy/sid, but I'd just like  
> to share this info
>

The Debian packaging by X2Go upstream is for providing more recent  
X2Go component versions to users of Debian stable / oldstable.

The client-side of X2Go already is in Debian [1]. The server-side is  
problematic as getting nx-X11 into Debian [2,3] is problematic.

Greets,
Mike (who is X2Go upstream and a Debian Developer)

[1]  
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=[email-masked]
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/655699
[3]  
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2013/debconf13/webm-high/960_X2Go_Terminal_Server_Suite_and_Debian.webm

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: westlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:28:49 -0400

I'm not exactly sure which package installed it as a dependency other 
than it was mysql-workbench.

apt-cache policy python-paramiko indicated it was from x2go's repository

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=721733

The python-paramiko edition from x2go's repository isn't compatible with 
mysql-workbench (mysql-workbench is from debian's repositories)

(when I install x2goclient and x2goserver, they wouldn't be needing 
python-paramiko, so it's heavily not a problem.. I simply take out the 
x2go repository soon-after because of this specific problem with 
python-paramiko. I'd prefer not to though.. I'm actually trying to get 
the word out for x2go and I think it's a good app for more people to 
feedback upon.)

Thanks..

-Scott

On 17/09/13 07:15 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> python-paramiko from packages.x2go.org, for eg breaks mysql-workbench
>> on debian..
>
> Or are files in python-paramiko that exist (by name) in any of the other
> Debian packages?
>
> The Debian packaging by X2Go upstream is for providing more recent X2Go
> component versions to users of Debian stable / oldstable.
>

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:21:36 +0000

Hi Scott,

On  Do 26 Sep 2013 19:28:49 CEST, westlake wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure which package installed it as a dependency  
> other than it was mysql-workbench.
>
> The python-paramiko edition from x2go's repository isn't compatible  
> with mysql-workbench (mysql-workbench is from debian's repositories)
>
> python-paramiko, so it's heavily not a problem.. I simply take out  
> the x2go repository soon-after because of this specific problem with  
> python-paramiko. I'd prefer not to though.. I'm actually trying to  
> get the word out for x2go and I think it's a good app for more  
> people to feedback upon.)
>
> Thanks..
>
> -Scott

Can you say what exactly the issue is with mysql-workbench and  
python-paramiko? In the long run, python-paramiko will be upgraded in  
Debian, as well, and the mysql-workbench package must adapt to that.

Still, I understand that latest paramiko upstream breaks the stability  
of your system. The best approach probably would be if we opened up a  
squeeze-backports and wheezy-backports archive for such packages.  
Because

   (a) those packages then would not install over stable packages from Debian
   (b) the user has to choose explicitly to use the backport package

It would be cool if you could send us the exact error that's  
happenening (as I am also a contributer to python-paramiko). Maybe  
some latest upstream development broke backwards compatibility and  
this then should get fixed in paramiko upstream.

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy:

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 21:35:13 +0000

Control: close -1

Hi Scott,

On  Fr 27 Sep 2013 20:45:03 CEST, westlake wrote:

> The bug report 721733 I filed quite awhile ago, it shows all the  
> packages with the reportbug tool (edition#'s)

The reason for it is in latest paramiko upstream (and got introduced  
two years ago).

I have patched the paramiko version, we provide via our archive and  
also filed a pull request for paramiko upstream:
https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/pull/215

Closing this issue on X2Go BTS, as it now gets tracked and hopefully  
fixed elsewhere.

I will also report the issue to the Debian maintainer of paramiko.

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy:

---

From: [email-masked] (X2Go Bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 21:48:02 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the python-x2go package:

#307: x2goserver dependency breaks

It has been closed by Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
307: http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=307
X2Go Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#307: x2goserver dependency breaks
From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
To: westlake <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 21:35:13 +0000

Control: close -1

Hi Scott,

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy:

Subject: x2goserver dependency breaks
From: westlake <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 05:04:39 -0400

Package: x2goserver
Version: 0.01