Subject: Mount MTP on thinclients

From: Anders Bruun Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:38:29 +0200

Package: x2gothinclientmanagement
Severity: wishlist

X2go thinclients currently mount usb-storage devices nicely. It would be
nice if they could also handle MTP-devices (like newer Android-phones). The
mechanics for connecting the x2goserver session to the actual device
(sshfs) wouldn't need to be changed. It would be a case of adding mtpfs or
something similar to the thinclient chroot and making sure it auto mounts.

-- 
Anders Bruun Olsen
It-ansvarlig
Det Danske Sprog- og Litteraturselskab
(Society for Danish Language and Literature)

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:54:01 +0200

reassign #228 x2gousbmount
thanks

Hi Anders,

> something similar to the thinclient chroot and making sure it auto mounts.

This basically has to be solved in the x2gousbmount package of the  
src:x2gothinclient X2Go component.

As I do not have such a device here for testing, I need help for that.

A test rig would look like this:

   o Install a minimal Debian/Ubuntu system
   o install the x2gothinclient package from our nightly builds (+dependencies)
     (or build from source: x2gothinclient.git)
   o edit the files you find in [1] and add mtpfs to the test system till it
     works

Greets,
Mike

[1] http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2gothinclient.git;a=tree;f=x2gousbmount

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

---

From: Anders Bruun Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:23:50 +0200

Hi Mike,

I have setup a virtual machine running Ubuntu 12.04 to test out MTP and
have found out that it is quite annoying to deal with. mtpfs does not work
out-of-the-box. A Google-employee has made go-mtpfs, which supposedly works
better, but I have yet to experiment with it. With normal mtpfs it seems
that you need to setup udev rules for your specific device, meaning that it
can't be used as a catch-all solution for MTP devices. I will try to
experiment with go-mtpfs and see if it can work as a general solution
without having to do specific udev rules for all devices.

As a side-note, on my Ubuntu 13.04 desktop, MTP is handled by an updated
gvfs and is accessible in Nautilus, but does not get mounted as a part of
the filesystem in a way that is available outside Nautilus. Which is why I
haven't actually played with mtpfs before, despite having an MTP device :)

2013/6/10 Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>

> [1] http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=**x2gothinclient.git;a=tree;f=**
> x2gousbmount<http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2gothinclient.git;a=tree;f=x2gousbmount>
>
> --
>
> DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
> mail: mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.**de<[email-masked]>,
> http://das-netzwerkteam.de
>
> freeBusy:
> https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.**de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-**
> netzwerkteam.de.xfb<https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb>
>

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:16:20 +0200

Hi Anders,

On Mi 12 Jun 2013 11:57:56 CEST Anders Bruun Olsen wrote:

> Okay, fair enough. It seems that gvfs does indeed mount the MTP device
> under /run/user/USERNAME/gvfs (wasn't listed with just the mount command,
> but is in /proc/mounts). But I don't think getting gvfs to play nicely with
> the rest of the x2gothinclient setup is worth the trouble. It might also be
> problematic as there is no way for the user to tell gvfs to mount the MTP
> device. It needs to be automatic. I think go-mtpfs might be the solution,
> but I am unable to test it today, as I am away from my work machine, where
> I have the before mentioned VM setup.

Thanks for further introspection into this. Get back to us, once you  
have the chance of testing it further!!!

Greets,
Mike

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31

freeBusy: