Subject: x2goclient 4.1.2.3 build failure on Fedora rawhide

From: Orion Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:16:32 -0600

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.3

Updating the Fedora x2goclient package to 4.1.2.3 I get the following when
building on Fedora rawhide:

Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.qe1X0s
+ umask 022
+ cd /builddir/build/BUILD
+ CFLAGS='-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
-grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
-Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1  -m64   -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
+ export CFLAGS
+ CXXFLAGS='-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
-grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
-Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1  -m64   -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
+ export CXXFLAGS
+ FFLAGS='-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
-grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
-Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
-fstack-protector-strong -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1  -m64
-mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
-fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer
-I/usr/lib64/gfortran/modules '
+ export FFLAGS
+ FCFLAGS='-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
-grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
-Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
-fstack-protector-strong -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1  -m64
-mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
-fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer
-I/usr/lib64/gfortran/modules '
+ export FCFLAGS
+ VALAFLAGS=-g
+ export VALAFLAGS
+ RUSTFLAGS='-Copt-level=3 -Cdebuginfo=2 -Ccodegen-units=1
-Cforce-frame-pointers=yes -Clink-arg=-Wl,-z,relro -Clink-arg=-Wl,-z,now
-Clink-arg=-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-package-notes --cap-lints=warn'
+ export RUSTFLAGS
+ LDFLAGS='-Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed  -Wl,-z,now
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1  -Wl,--build-id=sha1
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-package-notes '
+ export LDFLAGS
+ LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64:
+ export LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH
+ CC=gcc
+ export CC
+ CXX=g++
+ export CXX
+ cd x2goclient-4.1.2.3
+ export PATH=/usr/lib64/qt5/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
+ PATH=/usr/lib64/qt5/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
+ /usr/bin/make -O -j6 V=1 VERBOSE=1
/usr/bin/make -f Makefile.man2html build
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'SHELL'.  Stop.

This seems to be related to these new items:

@@ -52,13 +65,13 @@
 # implementation to make implementation.

 # GNU make way.
-MAKEOVERRIDES=
+MAKEOVERRIDES = SHELL QT_VERSION INSTALL_DIR INSTALL_FILE INSTALL_SYMLINK
INSTALL_PROGRAM RM_FILE RM_DIR DESTDIR PREFIX ETCDIR BINDIR SHAREDIR MANDIR
QMAKE_BINARY LRELEASE_BINARY QMAKE_OPTS LDFLAGS LIBS

 # FreeBSD and NetBSD way.
-.MAKEOVERRIDES=
+.MAKEOVERRIDES = SHELL QT_VERSION INSTALL_DIR INSTALL_FILE INSTALL_SYMLINK
INSTALL_PROGRAM RM_FILE RM_DIR DESTDIR PREFIX ETCDIR BINDIR SHAREDIR MANDIR
QMAKE_BINARY LRELEASE_BINARY QMAKE_OPTS LDFLAGS LIBS

 # OpenBSD way.
-.MAKEFLAGS=
+.MAKEFLAGS = SHELL QT_VERSION INSTALL_DIR INSTALL_FILE INSTALL_SYMLINK
INSTALL_PROGRAM RM_FILE RM_DIR DESTDIR PREFIX ETCDIR BINDIR SHAREDIR MANDIR
QMAKE_BINARY LRELEASE_BINARY QMAKE_OPTS LDFLAGS LIBS

 all: build
@@ -89,13 +102,14 @@
        rm -fr $(CLIENT_DIR)

 clean_man:
-       make -f Makefile.man2html clean
+       $(MAKE) -f Makefile.man2html clean

but I don't really understand why.

This is with make 4.4.1.  I don't see any problems with make 4.2.1.

-- 
Orion Poplawski
IT Systems Manager                         720-772-5637
NWRA, Boulder/CoRA Office             FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane                       [email-masked]
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/