Subject: Bug#1597: Possible security vulnerability: x2goclient crashes calling ssh-keygen due to unsanitized arguments

From: "Peter O'Regan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 14:20:21 -0500

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.2-2020.02.13

x2goclient assumes the path to its application data directory does not have
any spaces or single-quotes, but these are legal path directories for users
on Windows systems. As a result, if the path to the x2go directory contains
spaces or apostrophes (C:/Users/O'Regan, for instance), the call will fail.
I have experienced this error and can reproduce the failure behavior by
calling ssh-keygen from the terminal.

The fix, I think, is to add double quotes to open and close the
"private_key_file" string sent to ssh-keygen on onmainwindow.cpp, line
11353, or to apply a dedicated sanitization function.

Testing in the terminal:
ssh-keygen -f C:\Users\O'Regan\.x2go\etc\mykeyfile will fail.
ssh-keygen -f "C:\Users\O'Regan\.x2go\etc\mykeyfile" will succeed.

There may be other places/program calls that also need sanitizing.

This is also potentially security issue since it lets the program caller
influence what arguments are sent to generate an SSH key by altering the
"HOME" environment variable queried by qt in line 185 from
QDir::homePath(). (I'm not sure how easy it is to change this or related
environment variables mid-session, but I imagine it might be possible). The
path appears as the final argument to ssh-keygen, so it will also overrule
the preceding arguments. For instance, I could reduce the bit count for the
key or key type to make the credential easier to brute-force.

I am using Windows 11.

Thank you,
Peter