Subject: Bug#1585: Remmina shows blank screen when attempting to connect via x2go

From: Neil Haskins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:52:34 -0700

Package: remmina-plugin-x2go
Version: 1.4.25+ppa202204112217.r51a744235.d46ebd47a1~ubuntu21.10.1
Severity: grave

When attempting to establish a connection in Remmina using x2go, after
typing the host computer's address which I'm trying to connect to, and
hitting enter, the Remmina window will show a black screen where the host
computer's output should be. There's a grey bar with a close button at the
top, and clicking it will close the Remmina window.

I'm opening Remmina from the terminal because of the Wayland compatibility
issue (GDK_BACKEND=x11 remmina) so I can see errors in the terminal.
The error is included below, but in summary, I think the issue is just that
the version of pyhoca-cli in the Ubuntu repos is too old to have the
feature --list-cmdline-feature
It looks like that was submitted in September, but I believe the published
version is about two years old.
pyhoca-cli --version reports it as VERSION: 0.6.1.2

So, on typing my host system's address in Remmina and hitting enter, I see
the following in the terminal

** Message: 18:55:32.777: [X2GO] X2Go plugin loaded.
The glibsecret secret plugin has been initialized and it will be your
default secret plugin

(org.remmina.Remmina:24929): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:55:33.148:
gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuItem

pyhoca-cli --list-cmdline-features

** (org.remmina.Remmina:24929): CRITICAL **: 18:56:08.548:
(rmplugin_x2go_spawn_pyhoca_process) - [X2GO] Could not start
PyHoca-CLI:usage: pyhoca-cli [-h] [--server SERVER] [-c COMMAND] [-l
USERNAME]
                  [--password PASSWORD] [--force-password]
                  [-p REMOTE_SSH_PORT] [-i SSH_PRIVKEY]
[--add-to-known-hosts]
                  [--sound {pulse,esd,none}] [--printing]
                  [--share-mode SHARE_MODE] [-F <folder1>[,<folder2[,...]]]
                  [--clean-sessions] [--terminate-on-ctrl-c]
                  [--auth-attempts AUTH_ATTEMPTS] [-A]
                  [--print-action {PDFVIEW,PDFSAVE,PRINT,PRINTCMD,DIALOG}]
                  [--pdfview-cmd PDFVIEW_CMD] [--save-to-folder PRINT_DEST]
                  [--printer PRINTER] [--print-cmd PRINT_CMD] [-B
BROKER_URL]
                  [--broker-password BROKER_PASSWORD] [-N] [--try-resume]
                  [-R SESSION_NAME] [-D USER@DISPLAY] [-S SESSION_NAME]
                  [-T SESSION_NAME] [-L] [--list-desktops] [--list-profiles]
                  [-P SESSION_PROFILE] [--from-stdin] [-d] [--quiet]
                  [--libdebug] [--libdebug-sftpxfer] [-V] [-g GEOMETRY] [-x]
                  [-q {modem,isdn,adsl,wan,lan}] [-t {desktop,application}]
                  [--pack PACK] [--kbd-type KBD_TYPE]
                  [--kbd-layout KBD_LAYOUT]
                  [--backend-controlsession <CONTROLSESSION_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-terminalsession <TERMINALSESSION_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-serversessioninfo <SERVERSESSIONINFO_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-serversessionlist <SERVERSESSIONLIST_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-proxy <PROXY_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-sessionprofiles <SESSIONPROFILES_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-clientsettings <CLIENTSETTINGS_BACKEND>]
                  [--backend-clientprinting <CLIENTPRINTING_BACKEND>]
                  [--port PORT] [--ssh-key SSH_KEY] [--use-sound {yes,no}]
                  [--client-ssh-port CLIENT_SSH_PORT]
                  [host]
pyhoca-cli: error: unrecognized arguments: --list-cmdline-features

** (org.remmina.Remmina:24929): WARNING **: 18:56:08.549:
(rmplugin_x2go_populate_available_features_list) - [X2GO] Couldn't get
PyHoca-CLI's command-line features. This indicates it is either too old, or
not installed. An old limited set of features will be used for now.

** (org.remmina.Remmina:24929): CRITICAL **: 18:56:08.707:
(rmplugin_x2go_get_auth) - [X2GO] @h

** (org.remmina.Remmina:24929): CRITICAL **: 18:56:08.707:
(rmplugin_x2go_start_session) - [X2GO]

Thanks