Subject: Re: RE: Bug#1579: Acknowledgement (x2Goclient crashes with error "Can't start X.org Server. Please check your installation")

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2026 12:13:13 -0000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 18:13:51 +0000 "Peter Geelen (Quest For Security)"
<[email-masked]> wrote: 
> After uninstallation of the X2Go Client, it looks like there are some
leftovers on disk and the registry that corrupt or cripple the
re-installation.

> 
> You can reinstall, after manually removing 
> - X2Go files (including session config and vcxsrv files) from from the
user profile folder 
> - X2GO file references (to the installation and user folder) from the
registry 
> 
> Then it looks like the X2GO client can be reinstalled and reconnect to the
remote sessions without issue. 
> Just to be clear, as the sessions are removed, they have to be
reconfigured. 
> Kind regards, 
> Peter 

Is there no way whatsoever to reset e.g. settings rather than have to do a
complete reinstall and lose all configs? 

For example, as per 
https://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1369
when I attempted to add "-noprimary" to the vcserv serve custom command line
under X2Go->Settings when I restart x2go it now _immediately_ crashes with
"can't start x.org.server" making my x2go setup completely useless

i.e. I know what caused my instability, so surely there's a way to fix
without a full wipe + install?!

Yours, 

Michael

GreenCompute.UK <https://greencompute.uk/> 

HighEndCompute <https://highendcompute.co.uk/>