Subject: Bug#1577: gnome-Terminal not working on RHEL8

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:03:33 +0100

Package: x2goserver
Version: 4.1.0.3-9

If you configure a standard session in x2goclient and set the session
type to "Terminal" ("Eingabeaufforderung" in German) the session will
start and automatically terminate shortly after.

This is because when selecting "Terminal" the command to run is
determined at server side and normally "gnome-terminal" will be
selected. But gnome-terminal on RHEL8 will fork and x2go then goes on
assuming session end because of the last (only) client having ended.

Workaround: configure "/usr/bin/dbus-launch /usr/bin/gnome-terminal
--wait" instead of "Terminal" in the x2go session configuration.

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:58:48 +0000

> --wait" instead of "Terminal" in the x2go session configuration.

dbus-launch is a deprecated tool and should probably be replaced by  
dbus-run-session.

In fact, maybe we should put that as a command for the GNOME terminal  
startup in /usr/bin/x2goruncommand?

@Uli: can you test that?

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde
Mike Gabriel, Marienthaler Str. 17, 24340 Eckernförde
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4351) 850 8940

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 18:34:49 +0100

Please note that we are talking about Redhat Enterprise Linux here.
What is deprecated on other distributions can still be supported on
those systems ;-) But RHEL8 offers both... ;-)

It kinda works (tested without x2go or nx for now), but I am not
really sure if it works the way it should:

$ dbus-run-session gnome-terminal --wait
# Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket
/tmp/dbus-xCWFrJX5ds: Connection refused
dbus-daemon[1104827]: [session uid=<censored> pid=1104827] Activating
service name='org.gnome.Terminal' requested by ':1.0' (uid=<censored>
pid=1104838 comm="gnome-terminal --wait "
label="system_u:system_r:unconfined_service_t:s0")

(gnome-terminal-server:1104843): dbind-WARNING **: 18:30:55.976:
Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket
/tmp/dbus-xCWFrJX5ds: Connection refused
dbus-daemon[1104827]: [session uid=<censored> pid=1104827] Activating
service name='ca.desrt.dconf' requested by ':1.1' (uid=<censored>
pid=1104843 comm="/usr/libexec/gnome-terminal-server "
label="system_u:system_r:unconfined_service_t:s0")
dbus-daemon[1104827]: [session uid=<censored> pid=1104827]
Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.Terminal'
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# unwatch_fast: "/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/" (active: 0, establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/" (establishing: 0)
dbus-daemon[1104827]: [session uid=<censored> pid=1104827]
Successfully activated service 'ca.desrt.dconf'

(gnome-terminal-server:1104843): dconf-WARNING **: 18:30:56.014:
failed to commit changes to dconf:
GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._g_2dfile_2derror_2dquark.Code4:
Failed to create file “/home/<censored>/.config/dconf/user.X0PRE1”: No
such file or directory

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 6:00 PM Mike Gabriel
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev