Subject: Evolution fails under X2Go but OK locally

From: Roy Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 19:17:36 -0600

Package: Evolution
Version: 3.36.5-0ubuntu1

Evolution fails to launch or even error under X2Go version 4.1.0.3-5
server. Works file locally. Server is simple Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with TASKSEL
installed Xfce Desktop. When Evolution is executed in TERMINAL, error says:
"Failed to initialize gtk+: Unable to initialize the Clutter backend: no
available drivers found."

I found this bug report from 2015 that says:
“From version 3.30.5-1 Evolution in remote session x2go can be run without
workaround mentioned below. It seems for me that the bug is closed.”
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=710828

Bug reporter in 2015 refers to your 2020 article of:
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:glx-xlib-workaround

This workaround for getting GLX 1.4 working has lots of things I don’t
understand as a new user. I don’t wish to damage a working system by trying
things that may no longer be the solution just to get Evolution to work. If
it's still required, I'll try my best but some steps look dated.
Has this "Unable to initialize the Clutter backend" issue returned?
Is "Workaround for getting GLX 1.4 working" still needed for programs such
as Evolution?

Thank you in advance,

Roy