Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1520: Proxy-Server - SSH - strong Cipher crash x2Go-Client

From: Adam Dorsey - NOAA Affiliate <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:14:05 -0400

I used the process described in bug 1557 today to attempt to capture debug
information.  I didn't get anything useful, and no clues as to why the X2Go
client is crashing with strong ciphers.

x2go-INFO-1> "Starting X2Go Client 4.1.2.3..."
x2go-WARNING-1> English language requested, not loading translator.
x2go-WARNING-1> English language requested, not loading translator.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10902> Getting X.Org Server settings.
x2go-INFO-3> "Started X2Go Client."
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:626> "$HOME=C:/Users/Adam"
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:2359> Reading 1 sessions from config
file.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:13415> libssh not initialized yet.
Initializing.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/pulsemanager.cpp:369> pulseaudio --version
returned:"pulseaudio 13.0

"

x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10805> Starting helper servers for
Windows ...
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10972>
"/cygdrive/C/Users/Adam/.x2go/var" cygwin var path
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:11060>
"C:/Users/Adam/.x2go/etc/sshd_config created."
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10467> Resolved localhost.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:2853> Creating QPixmap with session
icon: '":/img/icons/128x128/x2gosession.png"'.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/pulsemanager.cpp:227> pulse started with arguments
("--exit-idle-time=-1", "-n", "-F",
"C:\Users\Adam\.x2go\pulse\config.pa", "-p", "C:\Program Files
(x86)\x2goclient\pulse\lib\pulse-13.0\modules",
"--log-level=debug", "--verbose",
"--log-target=file:C:\Users\Adam\.x2go\pulse\pulse.log") - waiting for it
to
finish...
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10489> Port is free: 7022
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:11411> Logging cygwin sshd to:
"C:/Users/Adam/.x2go/sshLogs/p12616.log"
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:11425> Creating desktop: x2go_Adam
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10467> Resolved localhost.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10495> Port already in use: 7022
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10467> Resolved localhost.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10495> Port already in use: 7022
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:11522> User mode OpenSSH server started
successfully.
x2go-INFO-8> "Starting connection to server: localhost:49199"
x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:2954> Starting new ssh connection to
server:"localhost":"49199" krbLogin: false
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:168> SshMasterConnection, host
"localhost"; port 49199; user "Adam.Dorsey";
useproxy false; proxyserver ""; proxyport 22
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:248> Starting SSH connection
without Kerberos authentication.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:250> SshMasterConnection,
instance SshMasterConnection(0x548e2a8)  created.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:492> SshMasterConnection,
instance SshMasterConnection(0x548e2a8)  entering
thread.
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:573> Setting SSH directory to
C:/Users/Adam/ssh
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:795> Session port before config
file parse: 49199
x2go-DEBUG-../src/sshmasterconnection.cpp:805> Session port after config
file parse: 49199

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:45 AM Adam Dorsey - NOAA Affiliate <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> A quick update for this bug:
>
> Today I tested the same scenario (Cipher aes128-ctr) on our test cluster
> using the latest Windows snapshot client, version
> 4.1.2.3-2021.07.13-df4a8ec.  The issue as described in this bug report is
> still present.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 2:28 PM Adam Dorsey - NOAA Affiliate <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I can confirm this issue in my own environment as well.  X2Go server
>> version is 4.1.0.3-9.el7 running on CentOS 7.  Affected users are running
>> X2Go client version 4.1.2.2 on Windows 10 (though this may affect other
>> Windows versions as well).
>>
>> We forced the use of the aes128-ctr cipher yesterday on our cluster login
>> nodes to resolve a security issue raised by our security team.  To do this,
>> we added the following line to our SSH server config file:
>>
>> Ciphers aes128-ctr
>>
>> After making this change, several users running the X2Go client on
>> Windows 10 could no longer connect.  We found this bug report, and
>> subsequently reverted the above change, which resolved the issue.
>>
>> Please note that Linux clients appeared to be unaffected by this issue; I
>> was able to connect from a workstation running X2Go client version 4.1.2.2
>> on Ubuntu Linux 20.04 without any issues.
>>
>> --
>> Adam Dorsey
>> NOAA RDHPCS Systems Administrator Site Lead
>> CSRA / RedLine Performance Solutions, LLC
>>
>> NOAA NESCC
>> 1000 Galliher Drive, Suite 333, Fairmont, WV 26554
>> office: (304) 367-2882
>> cell: (304) 685-9345
>> [email-masked]
>>
>
>
> --
> Adam Dorsey
> NOAA RDHPCS Systems Administrator Site Lead
> CSRA / RedLine Performance Solutions, LLC
>
> NOAA NESCC
> 1000 Galliher Drive, Suite 333, Fairmont, WV 26554
> office: (304) 367-2882
> cell: (304) 685-9345
> [email-masked]
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev
>

-- 
Adam Dorsey
NOAA RDHPCS Systems Administrator Site Lead
CSRA / RedLine Performance Solutions, LLC

NOAA NESCC
1000 Galliher Drive, Suite 333, Fairmont, WV 26554
office: (304) 367-2882
cell: (304) 685-9345
[email-masked]