Subject: Cinnamon 2.2 does not work

From: Michael DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 13:49:10 -0400

I just tested Cinnamon 2.2.13 and it does not work properly with X2Go.

Basically, Cinnamon resorts fo "fallback mode", which is not the same
as Cinnamon2d.

More details are below. Note that GLX is enabled, and I ran the
"Custom Desktop" command: cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d

----

When I connect, only gnome-panel is running. (Basically,
gnome-flashback is running, although package gnome-session-flashback
is not installed) It is very different from cinnamon2d, which works
locally, and there are many bugs in this version of
gnome-panel/gnome-flashback. For example, you cannot even set a
desktop background using the GUIs.

I also see a dialog with the text:
Do you want to restart Cinnamon?
Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode.

If I click yes, the dialog comes back up. If I click No, I the dialog
closes, and the session is usable, but it's very buggy for
aforementioned reasons.

This is just a VM I setup for the specific purpose of testing Cinnamon
compatibility with X2Go.

I have the GLX extension enabled on my test system
(/etc/x2go/x2goagent.options has the line to disable GLX commented out)
- Linux mint 17 qiana (based on Ubuntu 12.04 trusty) 64-bit
- All latest level 1, 2 and 3 OS updates installed.
- cinnamon version 2.2.13
- Custom Desktop specified in x2goclient: cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d
- x2goserver & x2goserver-xsession: 4.0.1.15-0~847~ubuntu14.04.1
- nxagent & x2goagent: 2:3.5.0.27-0~446~ubuntu14.04.1

I've attached the contents of my .xsession-x2go-errors file.

Note the following session files:
batmin@mint-q /usr/share/cinnamon-session/sessions $ ls
cinnamon2d.session  cinnamon.session

batmin@mint-q /usr/share/cinnamon-session/sessions $ cat cinnamon2d.session
[Cinnamon Session]
Name=Cinnamon (Software Rendering)
RequiredComponents=cinnamon;cinnamon-settings-daemon;cinnamon-screensaver;nemo-autostart;nm-applet;
DesktopName=X-Cinnamon

batmin@mint-q /usr/share/xsessions $ ls
cinnamon2d.desktop  cinnamon.desktop

batmin@mint-q /usr/share/xsessions $ cat cinnamon2d.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Cinnamon (Software Rendering)
Comment=This session logs you into Cinnamon (using software rendering)
Exec=cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d
TryExec=/usr/bin/cinnamon2d
Icon=
Type=Application
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=cinnamon
X-GNOME-Provides=cinnamon2d

batmin@mint-q /usr/share/xsessions $ cat /usr/bin/cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d
#! /bin/sh
exec cinnamon-session --session cinnamon2d "$@"

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 21:14:53 +0000

Control: forwarded -1 https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/76

> exec cinnamon-session --session cinnamon2d "$@"

Contiuing this on nx-libs issue tracker on Github:
https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/76

A solution is planned for the release series 3.7.x.

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy:
https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/mailxchange/kronolith/fb.php?u=m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de