Subject: Bug#1490: x2goagent crashes when pasting clipboard contents

From: Tristan Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:38:49 +0200

Package: x2goserver-x2goagent
Version: 4.1.0.4
Severity: grave

I am running two openSUSE Tumbleweed machines, both with x2goserver
4.1.0.4 (from Git commit gaef470fe) and x2goclient 4.1.2.2, and often
use X2Go in single application mode to connect between them.  Following
a Tumbleweed update on the client machine (from 20200708 to 20200724),
the X2Go connection now disconnects whenever I copy text into the
clipboard on the local machine and then paste it into the remote
machine.  The following error message appears in the system log of the
remote machine:

2020-07-28T11:16:12.479151+02:00 butterfield systemd-coredump[18451]:
Process 17960 (x2goagent) of user 1000 dumped core.#012#012Stack trace
of thread 17960:#012#0  0x00007fdd0c65c4b1 raise (libc.so.6 +
0x3c4b1)#012#1  0x00007fdd0c645539 abort (libc.so.6 + 0x25539)#012#2
0x00007fdd0c69f827 __libc_message (libc.so.6 + 0x7f827)#012#3
0x00007fdd0c72f4f2 __fortify_fail (libc.so.6 + 0x10f4f2)#012#4
0x00007fdd0c72f4c2 __stack_chk_fail (libc.so.6 + 0x10f4c2)#012#5
0x000055ae7290e691 nxagentCollectPropertyEvent (nxagent + 0xb9691)#012#6
 0x000055ae728f54b3 nxagentDispatchEvents (nxagent + 0xa04b3)#012#7
0x000055ae728f9b3a nxagentWakeupHandler (nxagent + 0xa4b3a)#012#8
0x000055ae728ddde3 WaitForSomething (nxagent + 0x88de3)#012#9
0x000055ae728b747a Dispatch (nxagent + 0x6247a)#012#10
0x000055ae728965f6 main (nxagent + 0x415f6)#012#11 0x00007fdd0c646cca
__libc_start_main (libc.so.6 + 0x26cca)#012#12 0x000055ae728989ea _start
(nxagent + 0x439ea)

The Tumbleweed update included some changes to X11/KDE packages that
broke at least one other application (most notably emacsclient) so
perhaps this is also the case here.  (Though according to the openSUSE
bug triagers, the breakage is the other application's fault.)  I am
running KDE on the local machine; I haven't tested if the problem is
reproducible with a different desktop environment.

Detailed steps to reproduce:

1. On the local machine, configure an X2Go connection to a remote
machine to launch a single application such as xfce4-terminal or
konsole, and then launch that connection.

2. On the local machine, use the mouse to select some text in a locally
running application, which will copy it to one of the clipboards.
(Alternatively, copy it to the other clipboard with Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Ins.)

3. On the local machine, switch to the remote window and paste the
contents of the clipboard by middle-clicking. (Alternatively, paste the
other clipboard with Ctrl+V or Shift+Ins.)

At this point the X2Go session will disconnect and the above-noted error
message gets written to the remote machine's system log.

---

From: Tristan Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 10:03:52 +0200

I'm seeing this problem with the packages I've built (using OBS) from
the Git HEAD versions of the various X2Go programs
<https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:psych0naut:x2go> but not
with X2Go's official nightly builds from
<http://packages.x2go.org/opensuse/tumbleweed/heuler/>.  This is
strange because AFAIK both sets of packages should be built from the
same sources.  As a workaround I can use the official packages for now,
though this might not be a long-term solution as the official package
repository has historically had a lot of problems with missing packages
for openSUSE (see Bugs 1358, 1360, 1403, 1427, 1491, etc.).

---

From: Tristan Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 15:10:45 +0200

Greetings.

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 10:03:52 +0200, Tristan Miller
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> <http://packages.x2go.org/opensuse/tumbleweed/heuler/>.

I've just upgraded the heuler packages of nx-libs, libXcompshad3,
libXcomp3, nxproxy, libNX_X11, and nxagent to the git20200919.4102
versions and the problem is reproducible for these packages now.

---

From: Patrick Reinhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 07:59:05 +0100

Is there any workaround for this problem? Copy and paste is one of my main actions for working...

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:05:20 +0000

Hi Tristan,

> versions and the problem is reproducible for these packages now.

sorry for the loooong delay in responding to this.

I have bumped nx-libs in X2Go Git to latest commit hash as currently  
is the status in the Arctica Project's nx-libs (where nx-libs  
maintenance takes place).

Do you still see the problem?

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde
Mike Gabriel, Marienthaler Str. 17, 24340 Eckernförde
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4351) 850 8940

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

---

From: Tristan Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:02:15 +0200

Greetings.

On 16/05/2022 22.05, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> I have bumped nx-libs in X2Go Git to latest commit hash as currently is 
> the status in the Arctica Project's nx-libs (where nx-libs maintenance 
> takes place).
> 

Actually, some time ago I built x2goserver from commit c2182644 (from 
2020-02-28) and nx-libs from commit d20cb44e8 (from 2020-09-23) on 
Ulrich Sibiller's repository at 
<https://github.com/uli42/nx-libs/tree/pr/clipboard_gathering2020>, and 
I haven't encountered the clipboard bug since then.

I can try compiling the latest (official) heads for x2goserver and 
nx-libs and see if the problem persists.

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                   Tristan Miller
Free Software developer, ferret herder, logologist
              https://logological.org/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:31:17 +0100

Hi Tristan,

Can you confirm this is no longer an issue? Can we close this bug?

We are currently migrating our bugtracker form debbugs to gitlab and are 
wondering which bugs are truly still open and need to be carryied over.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur
-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243