Subject: X2Go client does not connect from Windows WSL

From: Chris Greenshields <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 19:55:41 +0000

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.2

A colleague is trying to connect the X2Go client to a remote machine
from a Windows 10 PC. He can connect OK from the X2Go client running
natively in Windows. His work uses the Windows Subsystem for Linux so
he would like to run the x2goclient through that. Graphical
applications themselves work fine, but when he attempts to connect the
X2Go client to the remote machine, he gets the message below. I
appreciate this is a low priority since he has a workable solution,
but mainly wondered if anyone had encountered this issue before. 
...
Warning: Overriding auxiliary X11 port with new value '1'
Info: Falling back to file system X11 socket for accessing DISPLAY=:0
Loop: PANIC! Can't determine the location of the X display socket
Loop: PANIC! Error 2 'No such file or directory' checking '/tmp/.X11-unix
Error: Error 2 'No such file or directory' checking '/tmp/.X11-unix
Session: Session terminated...

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 22:18:19 +0200

I have never tried WSL but I guess the X server is running naively on
windows.  So what is the DISPLAY variable inside the WSL set to?

Uli

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:00 PM Chris Greenshields
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev

---

From: Randy Goldenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 13:20:26 -0700

>Session: Session terminated...

It may be that the x2go client is using the Windows CLI ssh client.  If so, the 
following is needed for X-forwarding to work properly:

* Export the DISPLAY variable.

* mkdir \dev\tty

* Connect with ssh option "-Y" rather than "-X"

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 10:31:08 +0200

> Session: Session terminated...

This looks like the default status log from X2GoClient's info window.
We might get a more detailed (and thus, potentially more helpful) error
log out of it if your colleague installs the debug version of X2GoClient
(that's a checkbox during install), then opens cmd.exe and runs
x2goclient like so (after changing into the directory where the X2Go
executables reside, most likely "C:\Program Files (x86)\x2goclient\"):

x2goclient.debug.exe --debug >%TEMP%\x2godebug.txt 2>&1

After that, the file %TEMP%\x2godebug.txt should contain the debug log,
which you should forward to [email-masked] after
anonymizing/pseudonymizing any confidential information (like user
account names, IP addresses and the like).

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 12:55:04 +0200

> account names, IP addresses and the like).

Ah, stupid me.  If your colleague is trying to run X2GoClient inside
WSL, then that particular version of X2GoClient already has debug
functionality built in.

So inside the WSL environment, the command to create a debug log would
be something like

x2goclient --debug >/tmp/x2godebug.txt 2>&1

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur