Subject: Bug#1444: Firefox flags latest windows client download as virus or malware

From: Chris Duffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 18:03:34 -0500

Package: x2goclient, windows
Version: 4.1.2.2, maybe others

Firefox flags x2goclient-4.1.2.2-2020.02.13-setup.exe as a virus. No
further information is provided.

I found links to a folder with earlier versions from this page:
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:installation:x2goclient

x2goclient-4.1.2.0-2018.06.22-setup.exe was not flagged, indicating that
the issue is in more recent builds.

Workaround: Downloaded and installing the older version from here:
https://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/releases/4.1.2.0-2018.06.22/

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:49:45 +0200

Control: close -1
Control: tag -1 not-a-bug

Closing this bug as it is a known false alert.  Whenever these
"smartscreen" filters (Chrome and Internet Explorer have them as well)
detect a Windows executable that isn't digitally signed (and our
detached GPG signatures don't count in that regard), and that hasn't
seen a large number of downloads, it will automatically flag it as
malicious.

If enough users report this to Mozilla/Google/Microsoft as a false
alert, a human will review the file and whitelist it.
Possibly this also happens over time, with a rising number of downloads
and/or the detection rates at virustotal.com not rising even after
several weeks.

I've just attempted a test download using the latest Firefox on a
Windows 10 machine, no such warning was issued any more.

-Stefan

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

---

From: [email-masked] (X2Go Bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 12:50:02 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the x2goclient, windows package:

#1444: Firefox flags latest windows client download as virus or malware

It has been closed by Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Stefan Baur <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1444: bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1444
X2Go Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: False Alert
From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:49:45 +0200

Control: close -1

-Stefan

Subject: Firefox flags latest windows client download as virus or malware
From: Chris Duffy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 18:03:34 -0500