Subject: Bug#1439: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1439: latest release of x2goclient for Ubuntu has dependency on hello

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 12:11:57 +0100

Control: tag -1 invalid
Control: close -1

* On 2/14/20 11:38 PM, Seth Galitzer wrote:
> When installing the latest update for x2goclient on Ubuntu 18.04 from 
> the x2go PPA, it has a dependency on the hello package, specifically 
> hello-traditional. The full package version is 
> 4.1.2.2-0~1913~ubuntu18.04.1. I suspect this is unintentional, but 
> filing a bug to check. Output from apt below confirms dependency.

It's fully intentional! "hello" is a very important package that ANY system
should have, however minimal!

No, seriously, it's intentional. Optional dependencies, like for
x2gokdriveclient, are most often resolved via an OR'd dependency with hello in
Debian packaging, since Debian doesn't truly have support for optional
dependencies and hello is small enough to not cause trouble. We could have made
x2gokdriveclient a Recommends: instead, but eventually it shall really be a hard
dependency, like the nxproxy one.

x2gokdriveclient needs further love (esp. regarding packaging) and is currently
only available for Debian in our upstream repositories - like I mentioned in the
release announcement. Not for Ubuntu, not for RPM-based distros, nothing else
yet. We'll eventually naturally package it, and once it's available
cross-distribution, it'll be a hard dependency. For now, I'd ask you to live
with hello as a nop-replacement. :)

Mihai