Subject: Bug#1417: Unable to find the sftp-server binary

From: "Nathan D'Elboux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 21:52:18 +1100

Package: x2goclient
Verison: 4.1.1.1-2

>From a Linux desktop i launch x2go client and auth into my
remote MATE desktop Ubuntu x2go server. Upon successfully auth to host
i receive the below error

"Unable to find the sftp-server binary. Neither bundled nor found in
$PATH no additional directories.

If you are using a Linux based OS please ask your sys admin to install
the package containing the sftp-server binary."
It then provides the names of the binaries to install, i do have all
of the necessary ssh and ssh server and sftp related binaries
installed.

Then it states to contact this email if the problem exists.

My path is as follows
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

which sftp
/usr/bin/sftp

i currently have sftp installed
ii  openssh-sftp-server                        1:7.6p1-4ubuntu0.3

Once you acknowledge the error and press Ok it exists the session

thanks,
Nathan

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 18:47:14 +0100

Control: reassign -1 x2goclient 4.1.1.1-2
Control: tags -1 moreinfo

Please mention your client OS the next time around! I'm pretty sure that it's
Ubuntu 18.04/bionic based on the openssh-sftp-server package's version number,
but such information is often helpful.

> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

Looks fine in general, but let's look for sftp-server...

> /usr/bin/sftp

Nope, sorry, useless. sftp is the sftp client binary, but X2Go Client is looking
for the sftp server binary (as part of the folder sharing/printing support).

Can you please re-run "which sftp-server"?

> ii  openssh-sftp-server                        1:7.6p1-4ubuntu0.3

Weird.

dpkg -L openssh-sftp-server

should include both

/usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
/usr/lib/sftp-server

Right?

/usr/lib/sftp-server should be a symlink to /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server, which
should be a real binary.

If the files exist, run
ls -ldh /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server /usr/lib/sftp-server

Incidentally, there *is* a bug in X2Go Client, which... looks for the wrong
binary name when using Qt 5. I managed to look for "sftp-binary" instead of
"sftp-server", which is just braindead. However, funnily, this only caused
trouble if the sftp-server binary was bundled or contained in a system path,
which shouldn't be the case. This bug should now be fixed in our nightly
packages, but it doesn't explain the problem you're experiencing.

Mihai

---

From: Wayne Sherman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:21:52 -0700

In my case (on MX Linux - Debian 10 based), I don't have an sftp server
installed and I do not want to install it.  I do not need "folder
sharing/printing support" for my purposes.  My remote session still opens
and works correctly, but I have a X2Go Client popup window that warns about
the missing sftp-server binary.  This modal popup freezes the X2Go Client
form / UI but the remote session window still works.  If I close the modal
popup window, the whole app closes including my remote session window.

sftp-server should be an optional dependency.  There should be a way to
close the warning without killing the whole app.  There should be a setting
so the warning does not popup every time.

Thanks,
Wayne