Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#139:

From: Moritz Struebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:21:19 +0200

Were getting off topic, but normally people spend their free time with
things that satisfy them. Satisfaction can be gained by money, but for a
lot of OSS it's because its something that person developing it uses: If
some minor issue is bugging me, I'll spend time fixing it. If there is I
major issue, but it doesn't bug me, there is no satisfaction in fixing
it, unless I get satisfaction by people telling me that I did a great
job. People just complaining do not help at all.
Besides: Mac is definitely no major target platform. AFAIK neverpanic is
currently working on it, and he already put quite some time into getting
it to work the way it does. Thus it was no "why don't you fix it
yourself?", but a "Fix it yourself, pay for it being fixed or stop
complaining." - After all the broker is an Enterprise feature, thus
spending a little money would do no bad.....

Morty

On 2013-09-16 14:39, Gross, Christopher W. (Chris) wrote:
> Yes, yes, we know. The software is free. Every time anyone expresses
> concern with something like the, this is the argument that comes
> forth, which suddenly makes our concerns invalid if we don't suddenly
> know how to fix the problem ourselves in a language we're not familiar
> with. I am grateful for the software, but as a developer myself, I
> find that programmers are way too sensitive to criticism. Sometimes
> users get upset when glaring issues are put on the back burner while
> other, much less severe bugs are added to new releases. It's going to
> happen and it's a critical part of the feedback and development cycle.
> Never is "why don't you fix it yourself?" a proper response.
>
>
> On Sep 16, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Moritz Struebe
> <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-09-16 13:38, Gross, Christopher W. (Chris) wrote:
>>> This is very disappointing. It's been 6 months since this report was
>>> filed (and since the last release) and even though it was acknowledged
>>> in July, it still was not fixed in the current version. Will we be
>>> stuck with this bug for another six months?
>>
>> Filing and acknowledging bugs does not fix them. You get X2Go for free,
>> thus I can see no justification for you to complain. Instead of whining
>> you could give something back to those people who spent many hours
>> working on X2Go for free(!). Either by providing a patch your self or by
>> putting out a bounty.
>>
>> Morty

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Martensstr. 1
91058 Erlangen

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : [email-masked]
WWW   : http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~morty