Subject: Popup plasmoids flicker and disappear when a remote application is in focus

From: Tristan Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 11:06:19 +0200

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.1.1

I use X2Go to run single applications remotely and have them appear on
my local Plasma desktop.  When such a remote application window has
focus, it prevents me from opening most pop-up plasmoids on my local
machine. The plasmoids flicker and then disappear.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Use X2Go to launch a single application remotely.

2. Give the remote application focus (for example, by Alt-Tabbing to it
or clicking on it).

3. Do some action that causes a local plasmoid
window to pop up.  For example, click on the Application Launcher to
try to show the application list, or click on the Digital Clock to try
to show the calendar, or click on a group entry in the Task Manager to
try to show the list of windows, or press Alt+F2 to try to bring up
KRunner.

OBSERVED RESULT

4. The popup window appears for a few milliseconds and then disappears.

EXPECTED RESULT

4. The popup window should appear and then persist.

SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS

KDE Plasma Version: 5.12.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.45.0
Qt Version: 5.9.4
OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0
x2goclient: 4.1.1.1
x2goserver: 4.1.0.4

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The video at <https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=119625> shows the
bug.  It shows a portion of my Plasma panel that includes the
Application Launcher, the Pager, and part of the Task Manager.  Claws
Mail is running remotely via X2Go and one of its composer windows has
focus.  I am clicking repeatedly on the Application Launcher.  You can
see the pop-up window briefly flickering and disappearing.

As far as I can tell, the problem happens only when an application run
via X2Go has focus.  The problem is not reproducible with applications
run remotely via plain SSH.  Not sure if this is a KDE/Plasma problem
or an X2Go problem, so I have reported this also on the KDE Bugzilla:
<https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406882>