Subject: Windows x2go menu bar does not appear in client

From: "David DeMoney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:35:56 -0700

Package: client

Version: 4.1.2.0

I am using x2go client v4.1.2.0 (but saw same issue with 4.1.0.0).

I start a connection to a Linux host (Knoppix v7.0.5) using LXDE session
type and fullscreen display. Client host is Windows 10.

After the fullscreen client is displayed, I cannot access the x2go menu bar
(at the top, center of the window, owned by x2go). I move my mouse to the
top, but it does not appear. The alt keys for switching out of fullscreen
mode do not work either. Only method I have found that works is Windows
alt-tab key.

This change in behavior just started recently, and AFAIK, I had not made any
changes to client or host x2go. I did upgrade to latest x2go client (to see
if issue was fixed), but that did not change the behavior.

I have tried this from 2 different client hosts (other was Windows 7), and 2
different target hosts. All behaved the same.

I would have sent the configuration file, but it is not obvious what file
that is. Would be useful if you added more details on how to find/identify
this file.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?